Sunday 27 February 2011

Big Zeds: Z900, Z1000 and GP1100


Old Kawasaki fours are as much maligned as they are revered! As someone who still runs one, albeit a Canadian import GP1100, and who also enjoyed one of the first Z900's, I feel qualified to write a few words on them.

It all started back in 1982. After a Honda CB350K3, a mildly used Z900 was a massive shock to the system. The bike had only done 4000 miles in mature hands. In Kawasaki terms that was just run in, they do take much longer to bed in than rival Jap's.

In every way the Z900 felt big and powerful, though in today's terms it isn't even on a par with a 600. It was much more difficult to ride, though! The first serious outing down some well know back lanes, I rode the Z right off the road.

Revelling in the acceleration, went into a corner much too fast and hit the brakes in panic. The twin disc set-up was much improved over the single disc on the Z1. However, the brakes interacted with the banked over machine, flipped it up and thence off the road.

Crashes always hurt. Either physically or monetarily. The Z went into a ditch, ploughed up a bank and then decimated a hedge. The cows weren't impressed with our sudden emergence into their field. The bike slewed and slowed, both feet down. I felt rather like an ant atop a rampaging elephant!

Strained leg muscles and wrecked back were the result of this sortie. The latter from pushing the heap out of the field. The mud filled motor wouldn't start. I made it back on to the road just in time to avoid being run down by Farmer Fred on his tractor. He showed zero compassion or concern for my state!

After cleaning off the HT leads, the bike growled back into glorious life. Was this a tale I could dine out on for weeks to come? Nope, made me a laughing stock! Rode home really slowly, being passed by 250's and even the odd cage.

The next day I gave the bike a right talking to and kicked the tyres. I kept to the wider roads where there was enough room for the bike to shake around without hitting something. Would roar through the ton, then a ton-twenty before losing its edge. I got 145mph on the clock but the mag's reckoned 130-135mph was the true top speed. Notoriously, Kawasaki clocks are optimistic.

Smooth roads, the Z900 weaved above the ton and then wallowed as top speed was approached. All a bit precarious, a bump or poorly distributed baggage, would cause a massive wobble. A lock to lock handlebar shuffle that tried to break my wrists! Accelerate through it? No chance, I'm not that daft!

Later, I tried various concoctions of suspension, tyres and Forth Bridge swinging arm. None cleared up the penchant towards self-destruction, especially on the rougher road surfaces. The swinging arm mounts, I think, just weren't up to the job of controlling 550lbs of metal.

The one thing that really helped, dumping the stock bars for ace-bars. The extra weight over the front wheel allowed a radical redistribution of mass that made the bike an order of magnitude more stable. It also made it much easier to fly past 125mph. Unfortunately, even with rear-sets, the bike was very uncomfortable below 80mph. The lack of leverage made the old heap much slower turning.

Not one to give up easily, with 34000 miles on the clock, I had a mono-shock conversion done to the frame! A total disaster! Some subtle alteration to the steering geometry made it very flighty at speed and prone to massive wobbles. The relocation of all the electrics and airfilter also messed up the bike's lines.

After fitting a very expensive shock, the bike was much improved. Slightly better than stock but not worth all the money and effort. Around this time, the 4-2 OE exhaust was just about ready to fall off. A noisy 4-1 (Alpha, I think) was the obvious choice. An ex-racer's GRP fairing was also fitted. The transformation was complete!

Because of restricted steering lock, the bike was a pig to turn in traffic. On the second day I became entangled in the fairing, fell off rather than complete a right-angled turn. Luckily, someone's old Ford Cortina took most of the blow, though there was a big crack in the fairing. The guy wanted to hit me but I ducked my helmet and he broke his knuckles rather than my nose. He howled like a baby!

Rather than dumping the fairing, I repaired the crack and cut it back around the handlebars. Being an ex-racing job, I'd cut another hole for the headlamp, the overall effect attractive only to the cops! Not that I ever stopped. I practically had to lie down on the tank to benefit from the aerodynamic effect. Restricted forward vision and my ability to manhandle the bike!

Every time the bike clocked up 120mph, the thin fairing was blitzed by secondary vibration. The engine noise so amplified it felt like it was about to explode into a million bits. Still, it emphasized the sheer joy of the highly illegal speeds achieved.

Despite all the engine noise and vibration the DOHC four cylinder motor proved incredibly tough. With electronic ignition, the most maintenance it needed was a carb balance and oil change, the valves stayed in adjustment for tens of thousands of miles. The wet sump motor had proper primary gear drive (as opposed to similar era Honda fours with hyvoid chains and a separate oil tank) and loads of heavy-duty roller bearings.

Couldn't break the motor in about 80,000 miles of excess! The clutch did need new plates around 34000 miles. Familiarity breeding contempt, I used to cane the bike on take-offs, not that it was particularly wheelie prone. Until I fitted an O-ring chain conversation, the skimpy chain and sprockets used to last for less than 5000 miles. About what you'd expect from tyres and pads, too.

Getting a bit older, if not more mature, I took the bike back to stock spec. My arms and back were well relieved and the bike looked all the better for it. To my eyes, at least, the Z900 looks much sleeker than the whole host of retro's currently on offer. You can't beat the real thing.

I would probably still be riding around on the Z, if after eleven years someone hadn't nicked it. Pinched it and crashed it ten minutes later. They aren't easy to ride if you're not used to them! The crash involved an artic which basically crunched the bike flat! Cracked crankcases meant that even the motor couldn't be saved. As I had TPFT insurance I got some money back eventually but it wasn't any compensation for the loss of such a wonderful bike.

I've never really got on with Hondas, not the most brilliant move to buy a CB750F1. The bloody thing refused to run in the wet, skidded around corners as if the wheels were out of line and had piss all power compared to the Kawasaki. It had done 43000 miles and was almost completely worn out. I sold it off for what I paid for it; three weeks later it blew up!

A tired looking Z1000 was next in line. Only 19000 miles, the motor sounded fine. The chassis looked like it'd been treated to an acid bath! The owner admitted to three months winter despatching in London. As far as bikes go, a capital offence. The price was right. I rode home slowly, waiting for something to fall off or break up. Nothing did, concluded that the Z1000 was another tough Kawasaki four.

An old beer crate under the frame, took everything off, leaving just the frame and engine. The former was wire-brushed and repainted by hand. Oddly, there wasn't much corrosion on the engine so that was an easy touch. Several breakers later, I had most of the bits I needed. The bike was soon back on the road.

What I hadn't realised was that the rot had bitten deep into the electrics. Lots of cutting out, refusal to start and stuttering below 5000 revs. The engine didn't quite have the punch of the Z900. Much improved when I changed the airfilter for the correct Z item! 150mph on the clock was a possibility but neither my body nor the chassis really liked it.

Stability was better than the Z900 but it was at the price of needing even more muscle on the bars and even more mass. Close to 600lbs in stock form. The bike was quite intimidating in London, cagers veering out of my path. This feeling of solidly and invincibility was quickly punctured the first time the bike hit a car.

The cager had veered across two lanes of traffic to make his turn across my path. The forks - spindly things the Jap's wouldn't fit to a 250, these days - collapsed and I was thrown over the bars. The forks had actually snapped off - having landed on my head, I thought I was having visions straight from hell

A Z1300 front end was persuaded on. The sole basis for its purchase, cheapness. Somewhat stiffer and better braked, the bike felt even more nervous in the bends. The penchant for high speed wobbles was decreased but still there. The front end came with these really wide and high bars, more at home on a chopper. Made the Z much easier to turn through the traffic! At 80mph, though, my arms were pulled out of their sockets.

The Z1300 front end didn't last long. I hit a taxi which had gone mad. Weaving in and out of the traffic with a death-wish. Just as I was hurling the Z through a column of traffic. I hit his rear bumper at an angle, fell off! The cages behind actually pulled up - more than half awake, for once! The forks and wheel were mangled - I'd been doing 50-60mph!

The bike took most of the impact, only a minor dent in the back of the taxi. Its owner went into the usual rage, swearing his head off as any good East Londoner would. Violence was avoided by the plod popping up out of the sewers, or wherever they hide. They ferociously checked my doc's, disappointed that all was in order. Despite no evidence (top box, panniers, bib, etc) they accused me of being a despatch rider! Only when I showed them my work ID did they desist! They obviously couldn't spend time on an accident without securing a conviction (and money in the form of a fine.)

They left me with the problem of getting 600lbs of dead metal home. I'd had the foresight to buy another Z front end. The solution was to pull the bike on to the pavement, lock it to some railings and get the Tube home. Fitting the old forks and wheel was easy enough but I had plenty of odd looks. Just as I was finishing some little Hitler of a traffic warden gave me a lecture. Halfway through, I gave him the old front end and buggered off. Left him open-mouthed. Bloody midgets in uniforms!

Halfway home the throttle came off in my hand - the Z did a wild wobble and stalled dead amid fast moving traffic. I was almost back-ended but managed to stagger the big bastard to the side of the road. Was the bike trying to tell me something? I gave it the benefit of the doubt, reattached the throttle and made it home in one piece.

The Z1000 was too heavy without the edginess of the Z900's power delivery. A combination that makes it a bit of a grand dame. On the other hand, the motor's incredibly tough. Despite neglect borne of a certain indifference, I didn't manage to break it in 45000 miles. No valve or carb adjustments were ever done. Neither did I touch the camchain or any of the other engine internals. Consumables were on a par with the Z900 and fuel was 40-45mpg.

Not the most inspiring bike I've ever owned. I sold it for a lot more than I paid for it. The next couple of bikes were big Suzuki fours - better in every way than the Z's but they lacked a certain something! It wasn't long before I was in the market for a big Kawasaki four. I really wanted a Z1 but they were too expensive, ended up with an import GP1100.

The GP's an interim model between the Z1100 and GPz1100, having the former's chassis (with new styling) and the latter's engine. I like twin shocks, no problems from the linkages during winter riding. The styling was a bit too sporting for my liking but the massive power of the motor made up for that - 95 horses!

Come 5000 revs, the non-standard 4-1 turned a muted growl into window shattering wail! The first time I used the throttle in anger, nearly jerked my head off my shoulders. I roared around London, terrorising the cagers, reliving my teenage years. The cops went absolutely berserk, outraged by the noise and speed. One could barely restrain himself from turning violent.

Told me, next time they would assume I was a terrorist and act accordingly. Not amused, when I told him a terrorist would have to be pretty stupid to ride around on a bike that made such a racket! In the end, a silencer with some baffling was fitted and I kept the revs below seven grand in Central London.

Flat out on the motorway, saw 150mph on the clock a few times. The exhaust produced the kind of sonic boom that made cagers think Concorde was about to crash land atop them. One cager, in a big Jag, pulled alongside, shook his fist at me and almost hit the Central barrier in his rage! Obviously some kind of sexually inadequate jerk-off.

The GP had much better stability than the older Kawasaki's. The only time it really frightened me was when I was carrying all my worldly possessions on the back of the bike (the divorce laws are crap!) and the weight distribution made the front end go all light. At 130mph the front end twitched and then the bars went from lock to lock. Not as viciously as on the Z900, it quietened down once I put some of my body mass over the front end.

Cornering was helped along by increased ground clearance and tauter suspension. The main limitation, the sheer, excessive mass of the GP! I was used to big fours, which helps, but it still needs excess muscle to really ride fast. Sneaky 600 replica's can get right inside me, the 1100 running wide in corners as an alternative to falling off the edges of its tyres.

Snapping the throttle shut turned the swinging arm plastic, really needs very gentle work on the throttle and brakes to slow down in corners. Much better to get the braking done before the bend - the triple discs with Dunlopads the best braking I've ever experienced (which doesn't say much as I don't like replicas). I have, a few times, managed to lose massive amounts of speed in corners (to avoid hitting something) but lots of effort was needed to control a chassis that felt like it was breaking up. Good, though, for constipation!

There are lots of bits to upgrade the suspension but my finances were so depleted that I made do with the OE stuff. The bike only had 8000 miles on the clock, at that point the suspension wasn't too far gone. Later, a fork brace made a major difference to directional accuracy and a chassis bearing upgrade helped stability. Certainly, it's not the kind of bike to ride fast if any of the suspension components are seriously worn or the tyres are down below 2mm.

Don't know why, but tyres, brake pads and chains all lasted longer than on the older fours, over 7500 miles! Fuel was 35-55mpg, depending on the level of throttle madness. Despite its sporting pretensions and non-standard 4-1, the GP could be ridden like a big softy. Just keep the revs below five grand, the reward excellent economy and a laid back life!

The riding position suited me fine, whether in town or going for it on the motorway. A lack of leverage compared to the older bikes was the only downside. One I could live with as 120mph cruising was tolerable - the kind of speed needed to keep clear of the cages.

When push came to shove, I seemed able to pull the GP out of dangerous situations. Helped along by the fearsome front brake that would squeal, even burn, the front tyre. I ran out of luck one winter day when recourse to a new survival line took me into the gutter. Filled with diesel, it meant the front wheel lost it all, the tyre careered into the kerb and bounced out sideways.

The GP came crashing down. I was thrown at some Soho ped's whilst the bike bounced off the side of a cage and then back to the pavement. Doing a death dance with the concrete, the latter winning out. After convincing the ped's that I wasn't a biker from hell, I pulled up the big Kawasaki and assayed the damage.

One crushed 4-1, bent bars, dented front wheel, broken plastic, ruined indicators and, gasp, cracked lower crankcase. Oil dribbled out almost as rapidly as the tears ran down my cheeks. At least the GP had taken out the side of a very expensive looking BMW! Great fun was had sorting out the mess, the usual threats from the cops and cager.

That's how things stand at the moment. I'm running around trying to get replacement parts for the Z but no luck on the lower crankcase yet. A bit of alloy welding might sort it but every time I do a ton and a half I'd be wondering if it was going to fail. Meanwhile, I've been riding around on a friend's spare bike - a stripped down Yamaha TDM850 which goes like stink and makes the GP seem just a bit mundane.

Time to move on? Sort of, just got a new job with lots more money and aim to get the GP back on the road but also have a more modern bike. Probably end up with the TDM. As for the Z's, they started out good with the Z1/Z900, went a bit bland with the Z1000/1100, then peaked with the GPz series, my GP11 sort of sitting in the middle and benefiting from both strains. The early Z's are very expensive, so the later stuff does make good sense. They are all a bit brutal, but that's how I like my bikes!

Harry Wilson