Wednesday 20 January 2016

Triumph 900 Trident: Mostly good stuff


Is this the best two up bike? Bought new in '97 for 6150 notes from the nearest dealer - a steal! Previously owned a z650, so by comparison it felt a bit heavier. I was initially a little nervous lifting it on to the centre-stand. Took great care running it in by the book; as the revs rose so did the grins. First happiness with the low down stomp (2,000-3,000 rpm), then surprise at the excess of midrange power (3,000-5,000rpm) and, finally, amazement on completion of the running in at the way they blend together and keep driving right to the (seldom visited 9,500rpm) redline.

32,500 miles later and the verdict is simple - I'll never sell it. I can't think of anything else to buy (and I've had the cash). It's ideal for pillions - 90 percent of my riding is two up, with all day trips all year round. The way the engine delivers its mix of low down grunt and midrange power is perfect for two up use, with plenty of drive out of any corner or overtaking in a choice of gears. Couple smooth retardation with the fantastic engine braking, a good comfy seat for both rider and pillion, adds up to a bike that gives REAL all day comfort.

Being 6 foot 3 inches tall, the riding position suits me fine, and although a little heavy at a standstill, on the move it's not too bad. I'll admit that (over six years and 32,500 miles) my riding style has altered to get the most from the bike, setting myself up before a corner with an optional stroke on the levers and/or dropping down a cog, smoothly though, then big drive out the other side as soon as the exit opens up.

Two trips through the French, Swiss and Italian alps (one two up, one solo) have let the bike deliver the goods yet again, with the necessary drive to enjoy the inclines and uphill switchbacks.

The best tyres I've found are Bridgestone BT54's with an attainable 8,000 out of a rear and 9,000 miles on the front. Fuel consumption climbed to a best of 44 mpg (over 200 mile tank range) on a pissing wet, all day, two up drive through the south of France, the worst being in the low 30's.

Servicing costs are acceptable, averaging at roughly 150 notes every 6,000 miles (including parts).The O.E. chain lasted 9,000 miles then a D.I.D. X-ring managed 14,000 miles (with a Scottoiler fitted). Brake pads I use are E.B.C. Black - there's no other choice except O.E. and they last the same 12,000 miles, anyway.

I've fitted a small screen to take the edge off the wind blast, allowing a two up motorway cruising speed of 90mph. The best accessory I bought was a baglux tank harness and bag - priceless.

Faults encountered: the centre-stand foot lever bent; the exhaust heat shield fell off; the starter motor switch failed, and the clutch and brake reservoir lid seals needed replacing. All done under warranty - no problem.

Post warranty, a carb top needed replacing, and the rear wheel bearings went at 28,000 miles.The speedo cable snapped at 31,000 miles.

In the real world of men struggling to persuade her indoors that a bike would be a good idea ("I'll use the GSXR1000 for work and you can have the car all day, dearie"), this bike has made it easy for me - it got the missus on side straight away so there were no problems over "how much does that bike of yours cost to run, what about a new kitchen?" And now that the three kids are here we've got an ideal excuse to leave them at the granny's and escape to the lakes for the day, the only grief I get is when I go out on it without her.

Change anything? I've tried heavier fork oil but went back to standard, the front brake could be better, the rear shock is on its maximum setting (with a total of 32 stone on the bike, with all our gear on). I've dropped the forks through the yokes (now 15 mm through), and the wing mirrors come inwards at 100mph plus.

To my eyes it looks like a real motorbike, without all the plastic and go faster paint job (it's the British Racing Green/Cream teardrop painted tank, black engined type), I can't count the number of times some old geezer's pased comment about it. Would I have another one? (If this one got nicked or summat!) Yes, unless anyone can convince me there's something better suited to my needs?

Phil.