Sunday 11 December 2016

Suzuki GSX400F


After waiting eight issues to see if anyone would report on the Suzuki GSX400F, either favourably or otherwise, I’ve decided to take the plunge and pen an article myself. My own association with this particular marvel of Japanese technology began back in June 1985 when I decided that my little Kawasaki Z250C was in need of replacement.

Anyway, I started looking out for another bike, not knowing what I was looking for, apart from that it would be larger than 250cc, my 9 months with the Kawa having put me off 250s for life - 70mph flat out, wobbly handling and a deal of discomfort did not exactly inspire.

While searching for my new mount I tried a CX500, which rattled on the left pot like a skeleton break-dancing on a tin roof - the dealer suggested that once I’d handed over the money he’d adjust the tappets and the noise would disappear. Big deal, I took my money elsewhere sharpish.

The next day I came across the Suzuki and it was love at first sight - I had to have it. One ten mile test ride later (on the pillion because the large number of thefts in Lowestoft meant the dealer wasn’t taking any chances), I jumped the queue of at least two other people by being the first to hand over the money — £600 plus the Z250C. It was only then that the dealer informed me that it had been rebuilt under warranty after 4000 miles, a mere 500 miles before.

My first impressions were of a bike that was quiet, refined, smooth as silk, and accelerated like a scalded cat (the acceleration is just about on flat with a Kawasaki GPz550).

My first problem came three months later (the bike came with a 2 months parts and labour warranty) when the bike repeatedly blew the main fuse. Then suddenly one night the battery totally discharged itself in about two seconds and then refused to hold sufficient charge to power the headlamp for more than three miles.

A visit to the dealer revealed that the alternator stator had melted. The cost of a genuine Suzuki replacement was £92 + VAT. I obtained one from a breaker for £20, which I fitted in half an hour and which has worked perfectly ever since.

Two weeks after this, I was riding through Great Yarmouth town centre, returning home from a Christian Motorcyclists Association meeting, when the nice muted purr suddenly changed into a deafening roar - both exhaust baffles had fallen out, leaving the bike with a quaint pair of straight thru megaphones. This gave the bike a certain mid-sixties Honda TT racer sound, but did little to promote friendly relations between myself and either the Saturday afternoon shoppers or the local constabulary.

Another visit to my local dealer revealed that Heron Suzuki would gladly swap 195 of my hard earned drinking vouchers for another of their bacofoil exhaust systems, but this time Motad got my order and two weeks and £115 later, a black and silver Neta system restored peace and quiet to East Anglia. Not only is the Neta cheaper, it's also quieter, offers better ground clearance and looks a lot smarter.

These are the only two times in two and a half years that the bike has let me down through its own fault. In fact, the other time the bike was out of action was in March this year when some kind *@*&%£*$ borrowed my headlamp after hacksawing through the wiring harness. This time the necessary Suzi bits would have cost £140 (new wiring harness, headlamp shell, lens, rim, reflector and bulb). I paid £20 to a breaker for a wiring harness and headlamp, although the headlamp actually came from a GT250X7 and only had 45 watts available instead of the halogen bulb I’d fitted to the bike before - a car unit from Halfords costs a mere £4.50 which will pop straight in.

On the servicing side, the tasks couldn’t be much easier. The valve clearances (all 16 of them) are conventional screw and locknut, but they do go out of adjustment pretty quickly (about every 4-5000 miles). The carbs, unlike the bigger fours, go out of balance very quickly, as little as 500 miles between balancing. When they are out of balance the engine makes a rumbling noise similar to shot big-ends, which will disappear above 2000rpm. The local dealer charges a mere £8 for balancing the carbs and setting the valves.The camchain is adjusted automatically (Suzuki seem to be one of the few manufacturers able to make camchain adjusters that actually work!) and the ignition is of the maintenance free electronic variety. Oil consumption varies between half and one litre per 2000 miles (the interval at which I normally change the oil) depending on whether I’m gently commuting or thrashing it all over the country.

I have always used Avon Roadrunner tyres with no complaints. The rear goes for between 8000 and 11000 miles, whilst the front is the one that was on the bike when I bought it (25000 miles ago).
 

It’s on its third drive chain, but still has the original factory sprockets (with perfect teeth). Brake pads all seem to last 15000 miles. The twin front discs use Dunlopads and the single back disc has Ferodo, a combination that gives the best stopping performance - wet or dry, the brakes will stop the bike on the proverbial sixpence. The battery has never needed topping up in two and a half years and the bike starts easily in the morning despite being left outside in all kinds of nasty weather.

From the forgoing you may think that the bike has a gentle life, but the GSX is regularly cruised at 90mph and run up to 105mph on occasions. Fuel averages out at 55mpg, with a worst of 45mpg and an all time best of 70mpg.

Some bikes have written off their valve gear and top-end in less than 20000 miles, but this was mainly confined to the earlier machines which were fitted with a totally inadequate sump. This often led to overheating problems with disastrous consequences (and the reason for the early demise of the engine - the previous owner apparently exploded the motor at 115mph on the A11 near Snetterton).

The bottom end was modified by fitting a larger sump (as mine now is) which hopefully has cured the earlier engine problems. The modification mark is a blob of weld over the oil capacity plate near the oil filler cap. From Aug ’83 onwards models were fitted with the larger sump straight from the factory and are easily checked by reference to the oil capacity plate.

The bike handles well, performs more than adequately, is light enough at around 400lbs to cause no problems in town or on country roads and is quite cheap to run if you buy a good ’un.
 

Anyway, there we have it, a bike which I’ve been very happy with over 25000 miles and would readily recommend one to anyone else. Would I buy another one? Hmmmm, probably not, as I have already been bitten by the bug for something totally different I am currently restoring a ’73 MZ ETS 250 Trophy Sports, but I’ll still keep the GSX as a second bike and ride it until it wears out (probably at least another 29500 miles).

Chris Armour