Monday 9 July 2018

Ducati Darmah


My adventures with the Ducati began in Autumn 1987. Having not ridden any form of motorcycle for at least seven years I had a yearning to return to the freedom of the open road. I decided that the motorcycle I wanted should be some form of classic. Having owned several British bikes I decided that I could not stomach the lack of reliability and antique design. However, I also did not much like plastic Jap bikes.
 

The only solution was either a German or Italian machine and because Ducati was etched in my memory as a machine of some pedigree from my earlier years, this was my final choice. But which model? Looking through the ads in MCN each week I found what I thought to be a bargain.
 

The machine was a 1978 Darmah SD. The bike looked very long, which wasn’t surprising as it had a 61" wheelbase. I was later to find that this was great for stability at high speed but not so good for low speed cornering. The bike was in good condition, the frame was painted red, whilst the V-twin engine shone brightly.
 

I was very impressed with the pulling power and smoothness but I did find the handling rather strange at first. The engine sounded good and only the tyres needed replacing, so £950 changed hands. I immediately went for a long ride and cautiously increased the speed. It was amazing how easily the bike hit 80 or so in such a short time and in such a relaxed manner and without any of the vibes of my former steeds (Triumph T100 and BSA C15).
 

On returning home and placing the bike on the centrestand I became aware of a growing oil leak on the ground. Oh god, I thought, this isn't going to be like my British bikes is it? Investigating the source of the leak, I found that the oil seal behind the gearbox sprocket was shot. A quick call to Spares GB in Colliers Wood and the part arrived a few days later. I noticed that the generator warning light was on permanently. Phone calls to all the spares suppliers revealed that a new stator costs around £90 - a bit steep, I thought. I managed to find a firm which rewound the stator for half that price and it’s not been a problem since.
 

After a couple of hundred miles the bike started backfiring when started from cold, caused by a badly shimmed desmo valve mechanism. Not possessing the tools I took the bike to Moto Vecchia in Dorking who also found a burnt exhaust valve. The total cost was £60, reasonable because I'd taken the heads off myself. The bike performed remarkably better after this. After these problems I got down to the serious business of really riding the beast.
 

I must say that riding this bike hard is great fun, and on full throttle the bike produces wonderful acceleration with a deafening roar from the exhausts. I have met some interesting people while out - including boy racers who go whizzing past only to slow down at the nearest corner. I once became involved in a race with a mystery bike which was following me. I was trying to shake him off, reaching 100mph in the process, but he stayed right on my tail. Eventually, we were forced to slow down in town and the guy came alongside. He was riding an immaculate Trident. We pulled in, shook hands and retired to the nearest public house.
 

Performance is on a par with 500-600cc bikes, although the Duke possesses greater torque which is very useful, making overtaking effortless. Just open the throttle and forget all about the frenzied action needed by many a Jap bike. As for top speed, I have reached 120mph and the bike had not quite run out of steam. Generally, though, speeds in excess of 110mph are not pleasant.



The bike has 32mm carbs and Lanfranconi silencers which makes it relatively quiet, slow and economical unlike its more sporty brothers, the 900SS and Darmah SS, which have either 38 or 40mm carbs and Conti silencers. On average I get around 50mpg.

The Darmah’s handling best suits A roads. On motorways fast speeds are uncomfortable because no fairing is fitted; although the riding position is quite comfortable and I don't find the hardness of the rear suspension a problem.
Maintenance is straightforward as Bosch electronic ignition is fitted, although the desmo valve gear has to be checked every 4000 miles and requires special tools. Oil is changed every 1500 miles, SAE40 or 50 used, as it helps the gearbox. Chain adjustment is simple thanks to the cam adjusters on  the swinging arm pivot. I immerse the chain in Linklyfe when the oil is changed and haven't experienced any wear yet.

The Brembo brake pads last well and the brakes are powerful, but the single rear disc lacks feel. The cast alloy Campagnolo wheels are shod with Avon AM21 rear and F2 front. I am not sure if this is a good mix as the bike is affected by white lines but I'll wait until they wear out before I change them.

As far as the infamous fusebox flooding goes, I once rode through a fierce rainstorm for twenty minutes with no ill effect on the bike, although I was truly soaked. To eliminate clutch slip I've fitted three Ducati 450 clutch springs to the six spring clutch and this goes a long way to eliminating any problems.

An electric starter is fitted which I prefer not to use very often because its sprag clutch can wreck the whole engine. Luckily, my Darmah has a kickstart fitted unlike some 900s and the Pantah. There is a massive battery which is expensive to replace with a stock item. Parts availability is generally excellent, most of the suppliers are very helpful and enthusiastic, most parts arrive within a couple of days of ordering. One sour point, though, because of exchange rates and the problems of importing parts, prices can be very high. For example, pistons cost around £100!
 

These bikes do require a high degree of intervention, with every bike needing careful setting up to suit the owner. For me this is all part of the motorcycling experience and is more rewarding than mere throttle response. On the whole, I think that the Darmah is an excellent machine which has been well thought out and designed. Most of the problems associated with earlier machines have been ironed out.
 

Adrian Gunn