Friday 1 November 2019

Kawasaki Z200


As the owner of a 1984 Kawasaki Z200 single, who has stuck with the bike for the last seven years and 45000 miles, I suppose I am as knowledgeable as anyone to comment on its merits and problems. I bought the bike second hand but in good nick, with only 4575 miles on the clock. The first owner, like myself, was getting on in years and used the bike for pleasure.
 

Used to much larger machines, the little, 280lb OHC single took some adapting to. Its proportions may be well balanced but its accommodations are more suited to those of milder frames than myself. It took a while until the feeling of having my knees up around my earlobes went away. | was surprised by the performance, with 20 horses driving its minimal mass, the bike buzzed along happily at 70 to 75mph, favourable circumstances allowing 80mph on the speedo.
 

Acceleration was good enough to beat the dreaded GTi types away from the lights, although they would come pelting past after 45 to 50mph was achieved. Still, I could console myself with the astonishing frugality of the motor. Even when thrashed it still gave 90mpg. As much as 110mpg was possible under more mild use. I am living on a rather small pension so that meant I could afford to take the bike on long, long rides at minimal expense.
 

The Z200 came with a set of Avons which lasted well, about 12000 miles rear and 18000 miles front. Even the disc pads did over 10000 miles. The chain was rather poor in life, about 6000 miles, but cost less than a tenner to replace. Long rides showed up several minor problems.

The seat foam disappeared, leaving me sitting on the metal base; most uncomfortable. The little thumper had no balance shafts in its engine, leading to a dose of vibration that buzzed hands and feet to an annoying degree after the first sixty miles. When the engine ran out of fuel, it stopped dead with no warning, often refusing to start for a few minutes after reserve had been activated. Rather troubling when it happens in the middle of fast moving traffic.

Handling was not perfect, either, with the rear end weaving over bumpy roads and the front forks turning into pogo sticks. This gradually became more dangerous as the years rolled by until it reached the stage where I had to take some action. Some shocks off a GT550 were modified and persuaded to fit on the back end (the lowest air settings were all that were needed), whilst a whole front end off a GPz305 was fitted. As the disc had become less precise with age and started seizing, the 305’s more powerful brakes were an added benefit.

I had bought these items after risking life and limb visiting half a dozen or so breakers who insisted on keeping what appeared to be wild dogs on a long lead to discourage thieves and even customers from entering their premises. One breaker had sold me the front end for only thirty notes but insisted that I strip it off myself. For days afterwards my clothes stunk of canine excrement - what a disgusting way to run a business.

Anyway, these new suspension additions put the zest back into the Z200’s handling. I was especially appreciative of the improved quality of the ride (I had much earlier added some extra foam to the seat) which nicely insulated my ageing bones from the fast deteriorating road surfaces. If I ever buy another bike I think it will have to have very long travel trail bike suspension, so bad are our roads becoming.

At about 35000 miles I noticed that the clutch was beginning to slip at high revs. Nothing more than a new set of plates was needed. Whilst the engine cover was off I was impressed with what little of the engine I could see - shiny gears and big bearings abounded. There was earlier a spate of cables snapping but I had sorted that myself as I had long owned a cable making kit; I ran up a spare set for each cable and taped it alongside, ready and waiting for the next failure. Typically, none have failed yet.

A little later, what had been a generally quiet motor started to rattle and backfire out of the exhaust. The latter was traced to the silencer splitting along its seam, whilst the former turned out to be nothing less than a dead camchain. A new exhaust system was ordered, I felt the bike deserved at least that. I fitted a new camchain myself (with a link you can rivet yourself), pleasantly surprised to find the camshaft, valves, bore and rockers all in good shape. I had found that the valves but rarely needed attention, the engine running so well that it held up the old adage, leave well alone if it’s working.

A bit of carbon cleaned off the head was all that was necessary, together with a genuine gasket set (pattern ones are often misaligned, cutting off oil supply to the head!). Disaster struck when I tried to tighten up one of the head studs, it stripped its thread. The bike had to be pulled apart and the intransigent stud Araldited into what was left of its thread. The 24 hour wait for the glue to set was annoying but worthwhile as it held.

The bike refused to start for about a hundred kicks but eventually decided it had better do the decent thing, but only after launching a massive backfire. Starting was usually instant even on mornings so cold I felt like the only thing I wanted to do was stay wrapped up in bed with a couple of hot water bottles. Since then the engine has run as well as ever, although a bit of wear has taken its toll top speed is only 76mph and fuel has dropped to an ail time low of 83mpg. Still, not a bad combination; one that few modern bikes can match.

Appearance has gradually gone to the dogs. I patch up the frame when necessary, there’s now less original paint than my own additions. The tank is due for replacement, judging by the need to empty out the fuel filter every other week - it’s slowly rusting away from the inside out. This also means that reserve refuses to work at all as the crud quickly clogs up its pipe right at the bottom of the tank. The engine I can do nothing for, it’s just a mess of mottled white corrosion that tubes of Solvol have failed to shift. If I was really concerned about it, I would dump the whole engine in a bead-blaster’s.
 

Engine alloy quality is also very poor. I have to be very careful when undoing cover screws or taking out engine bolts as it’s dead easy to strip the thread or even break the bolt off. Corrosion has also affected the wheels, handlebars and fork stanchions (mostly GPz305 items, it has to be admitted). But the engine works much better than I'd expected at this mileage (nearly 50000 on the clock) so I am not too concerned at these minor annoyances.

Only a few weeks ago I did a 3000 mile tour of the Pennines. I was lucky with the weather, glorious English sunshine nearly every day. I camped off the road most nights, ate cheaply and had a wonderful time. Lovely roads, swooping up and down hills, careering around corners, some incredible drops in places and not too many caravan fanatics. The Z200 could be taken up small tracks hardly wide enough for the handlebars to pass, or motored along the few fast straights flat out. A very versatile machine that needed only its 800 mile oil changes and a bit of chain adjustment.

Rarely does a day go by when I don’t go for a ride on the Kawasaki. Sometimes a gentle run down to the shops is extended to a fifty, or even hundred miles troll around the countryside. I find riding the bike second nature now and hope it will keep going for another six months or a year before I need to find a replacement.

Kawasaki finished making Z200s in 1985, so I couldn't buy a new one if I wanted to. Most, like my own machine, are now on a high mileage and unless you're very lucky will need some engine attention in the near future. I am in a lucky position, next year: I turn 65 and receive a full pension from my company, which means I can easily afford a new bike. It will probably be one of the small four stroke trail bikes, as they have the suspension and the simplicity that appeals to me. Any nice Z200 is worth buying, they are basically sound bikes that are fun and cheap to run.

Alfred Brown