Monday 11 July 2016

Hacking: MZ singles

I bought my first MZ after I reluctantly decided in 1981 that my Ariel Arrow might not be up to a 60 mile a day journey, which included 40 miles of motorway. The first couple of times I tried the trip on the Arrow were OK but gradually l got bored with travelling at around 55mph. plus the dark nights showed the Ariel’s lights about as effective as a couple of glow-worms l was reduced to riding in the middle of the road hoping that some following car driver wouldn‘t have the nerve to overtake me and deprive me of the use of his lights.

I had been studying cheap motorcycles in the cheapest manner - just looking for about 2 to 3 years and had decided I might just be able to afford an Iron Curtain offering. l rejected everything under 2500c as being under-powered for adverse conditions. The 02 appeared to be so many tin cans welded together, which left the MZ250 looking something like a quality bike. The TS250 was rejected on the grounds that when a mate had one and traded it in for a Superdream, he reckoned the latter bike was a great improvement. So. it was a Supa Five for me.

I tried to find a good secondhand one, but that was a rare animal. It took quite a while until I was able to acquire one. I discovered at this point that my brain is not very agile - after all I was nearing forty and I found that when quick reactions were required I did some wonderful emergency stops by slamming into first gear.

The bike itself was very light at the front end which also caused me some problems. spoilt, as l was, by the magnificence of the Ariel's handling, but I eventually adapted to its idiosyncrasies I covered about 26000 miles on the Supa Five, and other than the fact that I never did master a quiet. smooth gearchange, it was a good ride. I averaged 80mpg and cruised on the motorway between 65 and 70mph. Other than buying a new drive chain and tyres everything was OK until it had covered about 30,000 miles when it twice jammed in gear.

The first time I was feeling really clever, there was a massive hold up on the motorway and l was weaving my way through the traffic in a most professional manner when ‘in the outer lane I changed gear and promptly stopped. I had to be helped, rather ingloriously, holding the back wheel off the ground, whilst a sympathetic motorist steered the bike to the hard shoulder.

Being a non-mechanical the shop sorted this out - for a consideration. After that it happened again after a few more thousand miles and I got it repaired. After the clutch came adrift from the spline - so I was informed after about 15 miles the shop fixed it again without a charge. Finally, I thought the end might be near when the mechanic started mentioning big-ends and £80 - I decided to run it into the ground.

The end was nigh when one night on the way home I stopped at some lights and a fellow motorcyclist came alongside and said that my engine sounded a mite noisy - funny what you get used to over the months.

However. towards the end of my motorway stretch the engine suddenly went very quiet but proceeded at the same speed for some yards until gradually slowing down - a complete anti-climax.

A non-technical examination a few days later revealed pieces of metal welded to the inside of the cylinder head - end of one motor at 37000 miles. I still hankered fora bike but my financial arguments carried little weight with my own Chancellor of the Exchequer, until one day I saw a snip, an ETZ250 for £250 with 25000 miles on the clock.

The first time I rode it was almost my last, for I just touched the disc front brake - honest - and I felt an almost irresistible desire to hurtle Skyward. Still, l survived my induction period and have now ridden it on the same work journey as its predecessor. On the plus side, the 12V lighting is brilliant on the country lanes. Also, the condenser is now better protected from the spray and hence I only suffer rare breakdowns from water penetration - ever stopped on a motorway entry point with people seemingly aiming vehicles at you from both left and right? Makes you remember the WD40 next time.

It is less skittish on the front and handles better, which could be down to them deciding on wheel sizes. And, perhaps, the tougher bearings and oil pump system may give the engine greater longevity, as I was a bit disappointed with the Supa Five.

On the debit side, the fuel consumption is down by 20mpg for the same performance and the bike is much less tractable in traffic as it won't pull below 3000mm. The claimed improvement in mid-range acceleration I haven't noticed.

I would have preferred the older engine with autolube in the newer chassis with a less fierce disc brake, but beggars can't be choosers and for cheap motorcycling this must be pretty good value.

Keith Allen