Friday 22 July 2016

Yamaha RD350LC


This story begins way back in 1985 when turning sixteen I decided I needed a motorcycle. What I wanted was a black RD350 with Microns. What I got was a Suzuki CS50 to learn on and then a Vespa scooter, fast but slow and lasted for 14000 miles till I chopped it for a RD250E. This was worn out but went like shit off a shovel compared to the other two bikes.

Then, one day, I sold it for £130, visited the bank manager who insisted on loaning me £800 and was soon the proud owner of a £700, Y reg RD350LC, at long last. The rear tyre was bald but the tune played out of the Allspeeds was music to the ears. The clutch slipped under full power but the bike looked bloody smart.

Despite 16000 miles on the clock there were no nasty noises from the motor and the bike sang along like a good 'un. An Arrowmax was fitted on the back, which turned out to last half the distance of a mate’s Roadrunner and cost an extortionate forty notes.

One of the nice things about LCs is that you can burn off just about every car on the road up to 80mph. I‘ve taken every hatchback we come across and you should see the look on their faces as you fly past. One race l well remember is one night when l was about to join the M6, when a red BMW air roared past. I cogged down a few gears and motored after him. Catching up and passing the BMW l was surprised to see some old geezer at the wheel.

Once past, I pulled in front, running up to 100mph, concentrating on the traffic and hoping Mr Plod wasn‘t about. Next thing I know, the BM hurtles past with the driver giving me the V's. I glanced at the back to see which BMW it was, all I could see was M5. As soon as I arrived home out came the car mags to find the top end of that slag - 140mph. The problem with the LC is that it drinks fuel and oil. it's dead easy to get down to 30mpg, although I have managed 40mpg when I’ve been in a restrained mood.

I used the bike through the summer and winter, piling up 23000 miles on the clock, when it became difficult to start. Out came the plugs and off came the carbs for a clean. Didn‘t make any difference. Then I noted that the fumes out of one exhaust were a lot less than the other. Off came the heads and barrels - one of the pistons had a crack from side to side. One new piston later it refused to start, so I had to push 350lbs down a hill and bump her - it started straight away and off I went. It was smoother and even ticked over properly. I quickly ran it in and then screwed it down the East Lancs road (A580) only to find that the clutch started slipping at 100mph. New plates and springs set me back £36, which i thought a bit steep, but what the hell, it's only money. I then went for another run, down the M6, with no clutch slip it shot up to 120mph (really around 112mph) with a deal of vibration and a snakey little weave. So far, I haven‘t fallen off, despite some very near misses.

Apart from the piston and clutch, there have been no major problems - just keep fitting tyres and chains, and filling the various tanks. A headlamp bulb did blow once. I could probably extract better fuel consumption, but the effort would spoil all of the fun (Superslug owners please note).

The handling is very good when all the suspension components are in good condition and the tyres are new. When the rear tyre is held (the quick way to get motorcyclists to think safe is to halve the price of tyres) hitting cats eyes and white lines is pretty hairy, as the bike slips and jumps all over the road. The front forks last well, the rear shock could do with better damping from new, once old it lets the rear end skip and hop under heavy going; just as well the LC weighs so little.

When the chain ran out of adjustment I decided to take a link out. Lack of a split link meant I had to strip down the rear end to get the chain out, and then split it with a large hammer and chisel. I noticed that the engine sprocket was a bit short of teeth, so out with the file...

The LC is reliable, bloody good fun and an excellent device for pissing car drivers off. if you can afford the petrol, go for it. it‘s even possible to go touring on one, so it's quite a bit more versatile than its reputation might suggest.

Ian Feather