Sunday 4 June 2017

Hacking: MZ ETZ300

My state of the art 300cc machine from the MZ stable was a mere shadow of their mean machines of the late fifties and early sixties. The 26hp output of the 300 pales into insignificance when you consider that the 1960's machines were managing 21hp — and that from their 125s!

Time was when MZ were leading the Japs in two stroke technology on the track. That does not help too much, however, when using MZs for despatching — it does not help you get from A to B quicker, more’s the pity. My first over long trip, from Bath to Carlshulton, was nerve wrecking. but manageable and did not present any problems or realise my worst fears, so when some weeks later a job came to deliver some documents to Newcastle I felt somewhat more confident than on my first long run.

Even my fellow colleagues were talking to me by now and asked sensible questions about my MZ, and I think envied my minimal running and maintenance costs when compared to multi-cylinder machines. Only the time factor in getting to places let the machine down, I was usually ten to fifteen minutes longer than everybody else, but who cares when you save so much in running costs?

I ask you to think carefully on whether or not it is more pleasant and less tiring to cruise at a steady 75-80mph than to be trying for 100mph plus whenever possible, as well as not having to worry about the police.

I commenced my journey to Newcastle at 11.15am, full tank of petrol, oil tank full, everything AOK. Well, the weather wasn’t. it was pouring down and chilly with it. This was November of '88 when you may remember it did turn chilly for a couple of weeks. I set off, fully wrapped up in everything that l possessed which was waterproof, all leather having been treated with Nikwax - it does work.

I made good time to Birmingham and stopped at Frankley services to warm up and visit the Gents. Thank heavens for warm air hand driers. Two gallons of petrol was put in and l was off to my next stop at Derby where I knew some toilets would be waiting.

The bike purred along, gently numbing my feet and fingers. The bike was holding 75-80mph so well I no longer cared to pander to the rev counter. I stopped off at my parents just off the M1 Chesterfield junction at 3pm. Only another 140 miles to go and I should be there before the office closed, well at least I hoped I would or it all would have been a waste of time, wouldn't it?

Then it started snowing. Not hard, just enough to slow you down a bit. The motorway traffic still moved fast enough to clear the worst of the slush. I managed to arrive at the office by 5.15pm, everyone was so grateful for my arrival that I even received a cup of coffee and some biscuits.

The journey home seemed a bit disheartening, the snow was still fluttering down steadily and as evening wore on the increasing cold was causing slight build ups of snow on the sides of the A1. I had arranged to stay at my parents overnight as It was pointless trying to make the journey back to Somerset that night, and l was so very thankful when l at last got on to the M18 to join the M1 a few further miles on and thence warmth and comfort. When I phoned my wife, she told me there was no snow in Somerset and I don’t think she believed me when I told her how I'd fought a grim battle with the elements.

An early morning start got me back to Taunton by 10am ready for another days work, having cost me £17 in fuel and a bit of two stroke oil for 700 miles.

Considering that the MZ had 30000 miles on the clock at that time it behaved like a thoroughbred. If you consider that I picked it up secondhand for £360 a couple of months earlier, it was a good buy. This was the second one that I had owned, the first one being new. So for cheap, reliable and reasonably fast transport in any weather conditions, I do not think anyone would be disappointed in what they get for their money with an MZ.

P.D. Bayliss