Saturday 10 June 2017

Old Warriors: Trident vs. Commando


Like most motorcycle mad 17 year olds of the time, I was greatly impressed by the new electric start Norton Commando and the Triumph Trident, launched in April 1975. The fact that I could only afford a Puch Maxi had nothing to do with it; I promised myself a Triumph Trident T160V with the long range tank finished in white with a yellow stripe.

15 years on, the promise has been partly fulfilled in the form of a Commando which I bought whilst working in America in 1981. My brother-in-law was more successful — he wanted a BSA Rocket 3 and ended up buying a T160 Trident last year. At last, l would have the chance to really try out the bike I had dreamt of for so long.

It turned out that both our bikes were made in 1975 and shipped to the USA. The Commando — a Roadster — had been mildly customised with six inch over forks and a fat rear tyre, but was otherwise standard. I returned the bike to its standard UK spec, except for electronic ignition and an SU carb.

The Trident was re-imported into the UK in 1988. from California, Andrew buying it from a dealer. Apart from high bars, It could be a UK spec machine. electronic ignition and rubber mounted footrests being the only changes from standard.

The Trident is in good overall shape, but during the weekend we were able to compare bikes it started to smoke a bit (actually a hell of a lot) end dripped oil all over my garage floor. But it ran and started well. The Commando was well behaved apart from refusing to start. A result of wet sumping, an archaic trick performed by many bikes with a separate oil tank... but it doesn't leak, not even from the tacho drive.

Apart from these problems, we were able to go for a good few blasts over mixed terrain, with my sister on the pillion. She preferred the Trident, the saddle a touch longer, the suspension giving a more stable ride. She admitted, however, that the Norton sounded like a real bike should and not like some rice burner... which didn’t go down too well with the Trident owner.

Having got used to the lazy power of the Commando, stepping onto the Trident was a bit of a surprise. Firstly, it needs to be revved up to make it shift and, secondly, it felt so smooth. This image of smoothness was a bit misleading as the bike generates high frequency vibes that are similar to those I experienced on a Honda 750. Not uncomfortable. but there all the same.

My first impression was of the high bars completely spoiling the control of the machine, with rubber mountings making things worse. The bars were quite comfortable at sensible speeds, but I did not like them. I have ridden Tridents before and instantly felt at home with the road-holding. Where the old Commando shakes its head, the Trident just sits there.

In a tight turn or at slow speeds it does take quite an effort to get the Trident to change line. The plus side is superb straight line stability. I remember NVT trying to pass the Trident off as a sportster. No, I think not.

The Trident's gearbox is smooth and slick, with a short throw of the lever enabling fast and sweet changes. As it was not my bike, I used the clutch, but should imagine you could snick through the box without it if you had a mind to. Fantastic. The ratios seemed to be pretty close to me, and I found that I could change up and down and keep the engine on the boil quite happily.

My youthful dreams placed the Trident as a real scorcher — but it isn’t in standard trim. Only someone who knows how to handle the power, claimed the advert for the T160, but I found the bike a touch tame compared with the Commando. Either that, or it is deceptively fast and extremely smooth.

Once it gets into its stride, though, it reels the Commando in and noses ahead with ease But I prefer the power delivery of the big twin, simply snapping open the throttle being enough to overtake most traffic. It takes no effort to get going. either, whereas the Trident does need a bit more care No, not like an RD250 Yam, but you know what I mean.

As my bike is a Roadster, it has a better riding position than an Interstate. The Trident is similar, but the footrests are widely spaced with one peg ahead of the other. You get used to it, but it does illustrate a lack of investment in designing the bike properly. Rubber mounting the footrests, incidentally, seems to be worthwhile as it eliminates the high frequency buzz through the standard footpegs. By the way, I was told by someone who owns both a Trident T160 and X75 Hurricane (a BSA Rocket 3 with custom bits on it) that the Hurricane was the smoother of two. something to do with the different designs of frames.

The Commando has more modern switchgear on the right, but loses out to the Trident which has a working electric start. One up for Joe Lucas over Prestolite of America who made the Norton's starter. Press-to-light is a very appropriate pronunciation, though, as the starter wires get more than hot if you persist in trying to use the Commando’s starter. Dripping carbs, hot wires...

The starter can be made to work if you are that keen. Method one is to jump start from a tractor battery. Method two is to have the motor converted to a four pole design as used by Harleys. Last time I heard, this cost about £90. My solution was cheap, take the redundant thing off and use it to drive a coffee grinder. It can just about cope.

Starting both bikes needs a bit of a knack, with the Trident being awkward rather than difficult to kick over. Commandos tend to wet sump, mine doing it overnight and kicking a cold engine over with a pint of oil in the crankcases requires some effort. It is best to drain the sump. but I only do this if the bike has been standing for a week or more

Fuel consumption on the Trident seems to be about 35 to 45mpg, with some owners claiming a lot more. Andrew reckons 35mpg is a realistic average. A standard Commando with Amal carbs will average about 45mpg, rising to a minimum of 60mpg with an SU. I have got over 70mpg from mine without really trying and have done even better.

Both bikes have their fair share of Mickey Mouse engineering. The oil tanks have both broken their retaining straps after 10,000 miles, and a plastic Dzus fastener is all that holds on the left-hand panel on the Commando. But the basics are sound, with well welded frames, etc. The finish on both bikes is pretty good, with stainless steel mudguards on the Norton.

The Trident is an extremely heavy bike, combined with a restricted lock, it can be a real handful to move about. I thought the Commando was heavy, but it feels like a 250 in comparison. This also helps explain the way the bikes handle, the Commando being a real scratcher.

Since I rode the Trident, Andrew has fitted new rings, a fresh barrel and a new head. This has cured the smoking, and, he says, improved the bike’s power delivery. But I still think the Commando is a more sporty bike, its sheer grunt making it accelerate like a rocket. indeed, Andrew described it as a vibrating bullet.

Acceleration on the Commando is aided by the fact that it came fitted with a 19 tooth sprocket instead of the 21 tooth UK standard. I have kept the lower ratio simply because I don't enjoy dismantling half the bike to change it. As a new set of gearbox bearings will be needed soon, I will switch sprockets then.

Having lived with the Commando for eight years now. I have got to know its many foibles. if one thing breaks, I avoid replacing it because as soon as one thing is fixed another goes phut. In fact, I will admit to having wanted to get shot of it more then once. But it is now running extremely well, and anyone who has ridden a Commando that's going as it should will know how satisfying the bike can be.

Andrew is equally at ease with the Trident, even using it to go to work on when he doesn’t have a load of stuff to lug about. Now he has sorted the engine out, he feels that it should be less thirsty on oil as well. With regards to running costs, both bikes can cost a huge amount. But used sensibly and looked after, they can be reasonably cheap, with consumables like oil filters being the same as fitted to some cars and therefore inexpensive. Every year, Commando parts seem to be easier to obtain, but, touch wood, I have not really needed too many yet.

Trident parts, such as T160 primary chains, are more scarce but there are ways around these problems, and a lack of spares is not going to stop Andrew riding his Trident for many years to come I was always annoyed by road tests back in the seventies not making a clearer distinction between the Commando and Trident, which were always rivals.

The Trident is a more modern bike in the way it rides and looks, but the Commando has a, certain charm that draws a lot of attention when it is parked up. It also goes like stink for a twin of this vintage. As I always wanted a Trident as a lad, I must admit I still find it an attractive machine, but flawed in standard trim. I would be sorely tempted to muck it about to turn it into a better bike to live with.

In standard form, I think the Norton has the edge, and is my personal choice. If offered a Trident in the form of the Legend. than I would opt for the latter, Andrew prefers the Trident and is happy with the high bars. With my sister as a regular pillion, he is not inclined to use its full performance. Used like that, it should go on forever. But there is a really fantastic motorcycle in there waiting to get out, which I hope one day he will allow to come out and show itself.

James de Hamilland