Monday 27 April 2020

BSA C25


Whenever I go past a church I get a bit of a nervous twitch. No, it's nothing to do with the BSA’s handling, which is generally fine. Nor caused by its notorious electrics, which were long ago upgraded by some diligent past owner. It’s just that it brings back memories of the time a fault with an old BSA twin caused me to miss my marriage ceremony. God was looking after me, as the woman turned out to be a right vulture when she married someone else. Riding a BSA past a church brought it all back to me!

I hadn't planned on buying a BSA C25, or any other motorcycle for that matter. Just a guy in work mouthing off about the half dozen old classics he had stashed away I didn’t even know he was into bikes. We had a good old argument about whether or not a BSA 250 thumper could be deemed a classic, the result being that it could - just - on its age. The next thing I knew I was invited around for a look. I hadn't been on a bike in twenty years.

The BSA was stock but a bit faded, 11000 miles on the clock and it still started up, albeit with a hefty bit of boot work. Just sitting on the bike, with the engine popping away, brought it all back to me. I suddenly wanted the bike with a yearning I hadn't felt since sighting my first girlfriend. I was allowed a blast around suburbia, which only deepened the longing. It was all so raw and aggressive after the car. It took me a couple of weeks and fifteen hundred notes to gain possession of the BSA.

His other bikes were big twins from the sixties and fifties, but no way he was going to part with them. I didn’t mind, the C25 was more than enough for me. If I wanted fast cruising in comfort I still had the car. The wife viewed the BSA with suspicion, but a few blasts on the back convinced her I knew what I was doing and that it could be quite fun - at least when the sun was shining. She was also amazed at how quickly we could rush across Bristol in the rush hour traffic.

The BSA wasn’t much good above 70mph, too much vibration as the revs rose. But it accelerated quicker than the cars, much to their drivers’ annoyance - nothing like being put in their place by what appeared and sounded like a vintage relic. They went berserk on the throttle and clutch but the roads were so packed that the only effect of heavy acceleration was to back-end the car in front of them.

The first time it rained they must have rejoiced. It was suddenly hell on earth, as the water poured into all the openings in my civilian clothes and soaked me through in a matter of seconds. Had to go buy some decent clothing, more expense. I was just thinking it wasn't that bad, that I'd be home in a minute or two, when the motor coughed, stuttered and then switched itself off. This was almost as effective as using the drum front brake to lose speed. The cager behind went berserk as he had to squeal his brakes to avoid running over us.
 

I soon pulled off the road. Stood there, dripping masses of water as yet more poured out of the sky. What did I use to do in the old days, thought I? Clean out the points? No chance of that in this weather. I tried the kickstart, the damn thing fired up straight away. Conked out three more times before I made it home. Turned out, it wasn’t the points but the HT lead gone all rigid, breaking down. The wife was almost hysterical with laughter when I turned up looking like a drowned rat.

Later, I discovered that another downside with wet weather riding was that the drum brakes filled up with water and all braking effort disappeared. In the dry, braking was quite reasonable, though I never pushed the bike up to its theoretical top speed of 85mph I wanted to keep my fillings and figured my eyeballs would probably pop out. The engine didn't have any balancers, nor much sophistication. Due to its primitive nature fuel was only 50mpg, appallingly bad (worse than my cage) given the performance.

It was just as well that the engine braking was so strong, saved the day when it rained... it was also easy to lock up the back wheel if I was a bit slow on the throttle when changing down through the gearbox. The back tyre would scream, stutter and skid all over the shop until I sorted the’ revs out.

The gearchange was the wrong way round compared to modern Japs but this wasn’t a hassle for me because I'd never owned any, was instantly at home with the arrangement. Had given up biking before the Jap’s took over the roads completely. Surprisingly, any number of people on Japanese bikes would wave, stop to have a chat and generally refrain from taking the mickey.

The way I rode the BSA its performance was the equivalent of a 12hp learner bike. Fine in town or for quiet meanderings down country lanes but a bit lost anywhere else, so I simply didn't ride anywhere else. Fine if you have a second vehicle, but not the kind of mount to use day in, day out, all year round.

The main limitation on the length of time I could stand on the bike was my clutch hand - the lever required an incredible amount of muscle and the engine never really had so much torque that I could just leave it in one gear. The gearchange itself, though, was marvellously smooth and precise unless I tried to use it without the clutch when the whole bike would lurch forwards. The drive chain always clanged away unless I was very precise with the throttle when changing gears. A good gearchange is a sign of a well put together engine.

The motor’s a unit construction job with the expected two valves, pushrods and primary chain. Stories abound of it falling apart under the owner, especially the gearbox and top end, but it all depends on how the mill’s treated. Thrashed and neglected ones, not surprisingly, don't last very well as little as 5000 miles! But a gentle throttle hand combined with periodic doses of preventative maintenance adds up to a reasonably long-lived unit - say, 20-25000 miles before the whole thing’s worn out.

Whatever you want to say about the quality of old British bikes, C25’s were somewhat built down to a price and its engine design was outdated even before it hit the streets. There are various upgrade bits available but these are expensive and too much hassle, if like me all you want to do is potter around happily.

Here, the C25 ain't half bad. It makes a lot of noise and vibration even when it isn't revved hard, giving the impression that I’m a real hero to be able to handle such a machine. An awful lot of fun can be had without breaking any speed limits and most cops are friendly, often giving me the thumbs up!

Would I buy another? Having praised the bike as being adequate to my needs, I must admit I would like something ahine back into the British bike game it’s worth buying one. They turn up for as
bit faster and smoother - a 500 twin, maybe? But as an entry level mac little as 500 notes, but in need of an awful lot of work. £1000 buys something with a good engine, sensible mods and lots of life left. £1500 should buy a genuine low miler. Anyway, try one out, see if you like it and report back to UMG HQ. 

Pete Taylor