Monday 27 April 2020

Suzuki 250 Katana


The Kat was looking a bit shabby despite only having done 9750 miles. It had already been through three UK based owners. The last was a scruffy, obese monster who when he grinned looked like a mental retard. I declined the opportunity of a test ride on the pillion. Really, the only thing the bike had going for it was cheapness - £950, against two grand for ones I'd seen in the grey importers. As with most Suzuki fours, the motor sounded good and was its best feature.

Katana looks you either love or loathe. I was obviously in the former camp. The frame looked straight and there was no obvious crash damage. I offered £850, complaining that it wouldn't survive a winter and that the consumables were in urgent need of replacement. The moron grinned, grunted and acquiesced. Oh goodie, I’m back on the road.

The Kat’s layout ain’t the most comfortable in the world. A long reach to the bars and a bit of ball breaking tank/saddle interface. Oh well, I never really wanted kids, did I? Being a 250 four, the motor thrives on revs, really needing eight grand before it takes off. The gearchange lever was a bit loose, making it difficult to cane the mill until I'd had a chance to tighten everything up. Despite its bulk, it weighs less than 400lbs, steers very nicely with an immediately secure feel.

The more I looked over the machine, the more I found evidence of massive neglect. The worn out chain was due to the wheel being out of alignment on the chain's adjusters. The jerky brakes were down to the hydraulic fluid being the original and well cooked stuff that had come out of the factory. The engine oil looked and smelled disgusting. The carbs were way out of balance, although the valve clearances were OK. I went over the machine, cleaning up, tightening down bolts, fussing over minor bits.

Despite all that effort the bike still looked shabby, the grey paint had gone very dull, and there’s nothing more boring than dull grey paint. I explored the bike's potential a bit more before deciding to have a paint job done. It was worth the effort - 115mph, superb handling (after I’d fitted new tyres), 60mpg and a whole load of fun. I had the bike done in cream white, as I had a few unnerving moments when cagers just didn’t see me.As mentioned in the UMG before, painting a bike grey is daft as it merges with the tarmac.

So I had this great white beast that looked like it would eat 600 replicas for dinner but in reality was a mere 250 four that needed its guts wrung out to get its best performance. It wasn’t up to seeing off GPz500’s, and the like, let alone the really hot 600s but for less than £1250, including the paint job and the new consumables, it was exceptional value.

There were still some things I didn’t like about the machine. The front brake was grabby and a bit nasty in the wet. Not helped any by the back brake locking on, sending the wheel into some vivid skids. I actually ruined the side of one car, much to the amazement of the cager who staggered out and looked in disbelief at the state of his new automobile. The mere few scratches on the back of the Kat added to his annoyance.

The front forks were rather peculiar. They felt really stiff but when we hit a pothole they suddenly turned to jelly. The sudden violence was like being punched in the face. The really odd thing was that when flying along at speed and hitting a bump, they stayed calm and collected. No hassle. It was only the heavy, slow speed work that caused them to feel like they were falling apart. It was very hard to wheelie the bike, so I had to be ever alert for new potholes on my way to work. They seemed to open up suddenly, mysteriously, without any warning.

The rear shocks had been upgraded somewhere along the line, probably by the obese previous owner. Well rigid for me, giving my backside a real battering but at the same time holding the back wheel on line come what may. The Kat never had the kind of power that would squirm the back tyre, would run true out of corners even when I played silly buggers on the throttle and gearchange. These were minor quibbles, given the machine's cost. It was always a bike that I enjoyed riding.
 

The day would start with me looking the gleaming monster over. I caressed the planes of its body, patted its seat and whispered reassuring words to it. Well, if Prince Charles can get away with talking to plants, what’s a few words of encouragement to one’s pride and joy? It worked. It seemed to me that just the gentlest brush of the starter button had the engine whirling into life. A 250 four’s a real smooth and sophisticated piece of machinery. Feels absolutely bullet-proof even when thrashed along at 15000 revs.

Something that has to be experienced to be believed - at such revs a four cylinder engine really sings, losing the supposedly bland reputation compared to V-twins and triples. I would often just wind the machine up to revel in the aural exuberance. Helped along by the baffles having rusted out a little. The first time my neighbour heard the machine used in anger, he rushed out in a panic thinking a Jumbo jet was about to land on his house. We had a few words about my lack of social conscience but it impressed the young girl living on the other side no end.
 

She just couldn't get enough of the pillion seat. The way she hung on to me and squirmed around wasn't just down to the precarious nature of the perch, I think. Unfortunately, she’s only fourteen and her uncle’s a copper, so she was well out of bounds but I had some very pleasant dreams about what I would do to her when she turns sixteen. Not that age means much, these days, down some of the clubs in Manchester there are thirteen year olds just gagging for it! Not that I indulge, of course, officer. The Kat's looks and noise definitely impresses young girls and is worth buying just for that!

In just over a year I added 17000 miles to the clock. Although it doesn't look it, I found that the bulk of the petrol tank and its tiny fairing actually provided quite good protection in the rain and cold at least compared to a naked bike. I was thus able to ride the machine all year round. I don't think that this was something envisaged by the Kat’s designers. Rain and salted roads added up to a rusty exhaust, seized calipers, corroded engine and wheels, plus an odd coating of rust on the frame paint which could be wiped off and didn’t actually cause the paint to fall off! Go figure. Nothing a real biker couldn't sort out but a bit disappointing nevertheless - I know the machine was designed for the Jap market, but doesn't it rain and turn cold there? Perhaps they only ride in the summer.

The only reason I traded the bike in was because a 400 version turned up and 58 rather than 40 horses was too much of an incitement, especially as the dealer let me fit my white bodywork! The 400 only had 7000 miles on the clock and was in immaculate condition. £3500, but | got £2250 in part exchange, so not really that bad a deal considering the low mileage and improved performance. If you get the chance, buy one - either the 250 or 400, but the latter gives much more kicks.

lan Howell