Monday 18 July 2016

Yamaha RD250LC


There was a time, I recalled, when I thought Suzuki GS550s the business, but after owning a ZX1100 it just wasn‘t possible to enjoy the GS anymore. So into a dealers, where I managed to trade the GS for an X reg 250LC plus £100 (it was £699 straight cash). The LC was a totally different experience smooth, quiet and deceptively quick. Riding the LC was a joy until I went to Sherburn and swapped bikes for the return journey home with my mate who had a Stephens tuned 350. After two miles I was hooked! The 350 had so much low down smack that the power step at six grand was all the more surprising. The 250 felt like a restricted moped after that.

A few weeks passed and I found myself in a rather desperate need of a fix and was forced to tune my 250. Half millimetre skimmed off the head, top air box removed, 210 main jets. silicone sealant instead of the head gasket. Hy-Tech reeds with stops opened out and modified timing - an instant 110mph machine; it still wasn't as quick as the 350 but I was more than happy.

All went well until May '87, after 3 years of ownership. I managed to pick up a used Stephens 350cc tuned top end for £25 and twin discs plus master cylinder for £15. The next few weeks were hectic for I needed oil pump, carbs. gaskets and zorsts - bits were acquired from several breakers in diverse locations. TZ springs were added to the clutch to stop slip, fresh gearbox oil and new cooling fluid bunged in.

After a long evening in the garage the new, bigger, LC was ready for its road debut. After a careful warming up period my attempt at giving it some go was hindered as it wouldn't rev above six grand. I phoned up Stan The Man, who was very helpful - no top air box and filter, 290 main jets and needles in the lowest position. Tentatively I tried the bike again. Once warm, six grand showing then Kapow — the bike sprinting off like a demented thing, front wheel pawing the air, then skipping along the tarmac as I changed up the box, finally writhing and wriggling around even in a straight line.

Plug swaps showed that the midrange was a little weak so copper washers were inserted under the needles, which sharpened up the throttle response. The power is a bit on/off, the fuel consumption a terrible 29mpg and the flat out handling at 117mph can be most, er, interesting. Spares are cheap and readily available. A word of warning to anyone converting a 250: watch out for early 350 carbs as they are crap and fit T2750 springs to the clutch as they're only a quid each and can be fitted when the oil pumps are changed.

I dont think I'd part with it for anything (‘cept maybe a TZR or YPVS) and to think the whole thing only cost £405 in total!

Andy Wood