Sunday 18 June 2017

Yamaha RD350LC


I obtained my RD350LC after a succession of big four strokes. it was like a breath of fresh air. Small and light with an astonishing impression of speed when the the rev counter soared above six grand. It was a bog standard ’81 model save for Boyesen reeds and Metzeler tyres.

The next day I decided to take my new bike for a thrash... so headed off down the A2, destination unknown. Not far into the ride another 350LC pulled alongside me. Not being one to refuse a challenge I opened the throttle. The two bikes were dead level until the ton, whereupon my bike steadily pulled away from the other one, the speedo hitting an indicated 120mph with ease. I soon decided that two stroke power was infinitely more exciting than the overweight four stroke, four cylinder lumps I had been previously piloting.

Incredibly loud Micron expansion chambers were soon bunged on. I cruised around blipping the throttle revelling in the reflected ring-a-ding-ding crackling noises bouncing back at me. I soon joined the LC Brigade that used to meet at the Chelsea Bridge to see how much front tyre wear they could save. it was discovered that I had the loudest LC there.
 

Other high spots of LC ownership were a two up trip to Brighton. all the way flat out with not a murmur of protest. passing many a big four stroke in the process, and an absolutely incredible balls out race through Peckham in South East London where l got involved in a completely irresponsible and lunatic race with another LC jockey which only ended when we want our separate ways.
 

That’s the sort of bike the LC was. it brings out the absolute worst in you and any sense of responsibility vanishes out of the window. For example, there's a nice bit of winding road near to where I live and because I knew the road so well, was able to show many a Honda CB900 (and the like) a clean pair of exhausts. In fact, it was not unknown for LC riders to lay in wait for some poor Jap multi owner to come along.
 

Of course, all this was several years ago and I like to think I've grown up a bit since then, though the KR1 in the garage (not yet run in) holds certain possibilities. I was only parted from the LC because some bastard pinched it.
 

If you're in the market for an inexpensive street racer, an LC should fit the bill nicely. I loved mine — it was light, fast and I never fell off it. I’d have another like a shot, although nice ones are all too rare these days.

Marcus Jefferies