Tuesday 2 October 2018

Honda Super Cub


It was a lousy day that turned up a friendly dealer selling a V reg Honda C90 with 19550 miles on the clock, not much rust and looking reliable enough, albeit a bit dusty but with a new MOT for 120 notes. I am writing this about 18 months into my proud ownership and have got somewhere a brief list of the events we have shared over the last 7000 miles, but I’ve lost it...
 

First few days of ownership had me cleaning it, changing the oil, air filter, plug and points, greasing and adjusting things, checking tyre pressures, battery condition etc, etc. After a few days the new plug was sooty again, so I checked the inlet path and carb. The bike wasn't losing any oil, the ignition timing and points gaps were fine - I’ve heard that Honda reckon to make their engines run a little on the rich side, just to be safe, but this was over the top! Maybe it was because I had to have the throttle wide open all the time to make any serious progress.

The engine sounded OK but for a faint rattle/tap. Nothing serious, but I checked the tappets anyway. I then tried to adjust the camchain tensioner. This entailed slackening a locknut and turning a screw but was located under the engine, face in all the muck and grime. As Sods Law dictates, the screw was seized solid and still is today. My pal and I tried the usual engineering methods and a few unusual ones, too. I eventually used a small nut as a spacer in the assembly, to push the tensioner blade that bit further into the chain. The engine was much quieter after that and hasn't been looked at since.

The battery would often be found in a low state of charge, and the charging system is reputed to be a little bit below par on the old C90. It helped to run along on the parking lights as this brought the lighting coil in the alternator in with relatively small lighting current drain. The real answer is keeping the battery in good nick and making sure the charging system stays free of corrosion.
 

The battery did get so low that I had to bump it on a few occasions and then one day it was completely dead. After 10 minutes I almost was as well and it was a long walk to the shop for a new battery. To have bright lights, winking winkers and a loud horn was a nice change, but I did not abuse this new found ability; high beam was still sacred.

It was after I had to commute to Derby for five days (about 25 miles), that the first little seeds of admiration were sown. Not far, I know, but performance didn't falter throughout, even after being thrashed senseless most of the way.  The miles added up, the oil got changed regularly (1000 miles without fail) and the consumables got consumed. Consumables? It had a new plug at about 23000 miles, a new headlamp bulb (freak occurrence), a few back inner tubes and I replaced the rear tyre with a Cheng Shin at 21000 miles (£6 new). I slipped off three times with that tyre fitted and could feel it snaking about on wet corners. This was the only excitement you were going to get on a Honda 90!

I bought new shoes for the front brake when most of the braking power had gone, and the wear indicator told me to, only to find that someone had managed, somehow, to get the brake arm on the wrong splines and the shoes were in fact fine. I rectified this, cleaned the assembly up and greased it, rebuilding it with the old shoes. It was as good as new. They're still OK but the shoes will probably need replacing in 1000 miles or so, along with the cable, which is beginning to feel a little bit elastic in its old age.

As I mentioned earlier, I slid off a couple of times, going around wet corners too fast. Never any real damage to me and even less to the Honda - what I couldn’t bend back at the roadside, I would take the hammer to back at home. She only let me down once, totally that is. l was just leaving a factory I'd got a job at, 10.30am to take my Part 2 test, when the main fuse blew. This was serious panic stations and I found the wire from the battery’s positive terminal and wrapped a Rizla around it where it was bare. I knew where it was stripped because I had noticed it a few days before and made a mental note to fix it.

I then ran to the local garage to buy the only fuse they sold, a car item that was a bit heavy duty for the C90 but is still there to this day. I think the Rizla was eventually swapped for insulation tape, though. Anyway, I was late for the test but lucky enough to get a place in the afternoon. I sometimes feel the Honda was enjoying a practical joke at my expense - why the fuse had to blow then I will never know. Still, I passed the test even after locking the rear wheel at one point, by the way.
 

I'm sure the fluorescent green waistcoat I borrowed helped me that day. That weekend I went camping in Eyam with some acquaintances, and more praise was laid on the little Honda after that 150 mile weekend of being thrashed senseless, as always.
 

By now, I'd formed quite a high opinion of the little commuter, in terms of both reliability and endurance (for its size). We had been on a few journeys of well over 50 miles each way, continuous thrash, and up until the past six months it would still return 85-90mpg and 55mph flat out. This was all dependent on the chain being in good order and tensioned correctly, and the ignition system being more or less sound.

I gave her a new chain at about 24000 miles (£9) which has been adjusted once in the past 3000 miles, probably thanks to the full chain enclosure. Also a brand new exhaust came on the scene at this time, the old one had rusted through. As an indication of how rich the Honda runs, it actually revved a lot better once the rust made some holes in the exhaust. Congratulations Mr Honda, for only charging me £28 for exhaust, gasket and bracket!

Soon after passing my test I acquired a 350LC and prepared to sell the Honda. I crashed the Yamaha twice before I knew what was happening. The Honda started first kick after standing six weeks after the first crash, after the second it needed a bump start - an odd procedure involving running along with your foot on the gear pedal to disengage the clutch! The lack of clutch came in handy when my left wrist was in plaster for a few months after crashing the LC! Out went the LC, in came a DT175 for some off-road fun.

For all its virtues, it was a slow and, let's be honest, ugly bike. Going for a spin with pals meant revving it flat out to little avail - boring. I started thinking about a larger road bike. Also at nearly 27000 miles, the Honda started rumbling and vibrating badly when thrashed. After a quick inspection I decided the bike needed a good overhaul, frame as well as engine, as one front suspension unit had collapsed, tilting the front wheel so far to the right under heavy braking that the tyre rubbed against the mudguard. It was about this time that another friend offered me his CB250RS. Not a bike I would have chosen it I was rich, but I was skint, so out went the DT and in came the CB.

The opportunity to swap the C90 for an MZ came up, meant a 60 mile ride to Kidsgrove. So, I changed the oil and plug, checked most bits and used the 12V battery from the CB to start her up - it had been standing again. I set off into the murky grey horizon, got drenched through my Belstaffs after 15 miles and wondered if this was to be the last trip we'd make together. Quite charged with emotion really, as we rattled and shook along at a top speed that was 35mph, speeding up down hills and slowing down going up hills or into gusts of winds. 


By the time I arrived I was secretly hoping that the deal would not go through and told some lies about the bike to make sure it didn't! Trips would be so much easier and less of an adventure on a bigger bike. I embarked on the seemingly mammoth journey home. It was rewarding, cutting a swathe through the sprawling metropolis of Newcastle under Lyme. I think I was just as happy as the Honda at not going through with the deal.
 

As we cruised along the A roads towards Derby, I decided that there would be no more trips on her until she had some serious engine and chassis work. Even considering the very tired engine, which was struggling to keep 30mph up, as it misfired badly and lost all power at just over that speed, with just a few miles until home, I was feeling quite happy with myself and rather glad that the Honda and I had met that gloomy day 18 months and 7500 miles ago. Nothing would separate us now, and the 90 seemed to want to prove her worth with a last show of strength.
 

Almost miraculously, our top speed gradually took two steps forward and one step back, until eventually we could attain 45mph again, and a constant 40mph on the flat as we made a crazy, all or nothing, dash for home. And then we arrived, both dirty, bedraggled and exhausted. I selected neutral and the Honda's heart died, not enough energy to even tick over. But I didn't mind. I was proud of her. She had outlived the X7, LC, DT and will probably outlive the RS. She will now have a few months in the shed, with healthy dollops of TLC and emerge like a butterfly, resplendent with a new lease of life.

Paul Dale