Thursday 29 April 2021

Honda XBR500

My Suzuki DR125 had to go after 9000 miles of trouble free biking. I had passed my test, found that motorcycling was an addictive hobby, and not just cheap transport, and I also needed something to cope with the motorways. A £300 Honda RS250 with 11000 on the clock lasted me through the next few months and 12000 miles, but the top-end started to become noisy, so it was time to consider a real bike.

After weeks of studying various road tests in current and back number magazines, I had narrowed the choice to either a BMW R65 or a Honda XBR500. They both seemed to offer similar torquey performance, reasonable economy, ease of maintenance, and a fairly compact, lightweight package to match my compact and lightweight self. It was a difficult decision, the Beemer having a build quality and comfort advantage, whilst the XBR would be cheaper to buy and a bit more sporty.

The XBR won, and I started phoning around the local dealers for a good second hand one. The West Midlands had no such machine, and I ended up phoning Nick Jeffries in Yorkshire. Yes, he had two, and to my amazement offered to bring them both down to Birmingham for me to look at. One look convinced me. Although the black one had covered 4000 miles against the red one's 2000, the former had fork gaiters, foam grips, a mudflap on the front guard, and a neat GIVI rack. I also noted that the tyres on both bikes were worn to the same extent. I deduced that the guy who'd owned the black one was the more considerate owner. Anyway, it looked better than the garish red.

Such was my enthusiasm for the bike, I instantly gave up smoking, which would partly square my conscience for the HP agreement I had just signed. On with my gear, and off for my first ride. The torque felt impressive after smaller capacity bikes, and the lack of revs needed to propel the bike was very deceptive. Only regular inspection of the speedo kept me legal (although the next day I picked up my first speeding ticket) and after a few miles I was convinced I had made a wise choice. A few more miles and I was looking for a fag shop, the thought of what lay ahead was getting to me. Only the pain in my wrists and shoulders concerned me as I headed for the local test track (or A38 as the police insist on calling it).


As my speed increased the pain melted away, and by 70mph I was well cushioned by the wind. By eighty my helmet was trying to go into orbit, so I tucked in nice and low, opening the throttle to the stop. I have never been one to avoid cliches, and the bike really did feel glued to the road. Only the sight of a rapidly closing roundabout spoilt the pure pleasure of my first incursion into three figure biking, and without thinking, I sat up to knock off some speed.


The effect on my arms and helmet was a complete surprise, and although largely unseen, thanks to the lower half of my helmet, I negotiated the hazard with little real drama. The XBR was unmoved by the incident. The remainder of the ride convinced me that either I was quite a good rider or that Honda had made a bike equally capable of blasting down straights as it was round corners. It almost feels even more secure on long, fast bends as it does on the easier bits, as if there was more rubber’ making contact with the ground when it's leant over.

I was really enjoying what, for me, was a new experience - power, 44hp in the brochure or 38hp on the dyno is very modest even when pushing a lean and light motorcycle, but for me it meant I could overtake most things in top gear, carry a passenger at motorway speeds even against headwinds or plonk along to my heart's content down rural lanes.

Although by no stretch of the imagination could I be considered a head banger, I do have the occasional moments of gay abandon when the XBR is redlined through the gears. I defy anyone but the most avid techno freaks not to be turned on by the sound of the exhaust. The steady thump of moderate revs transforms to an aggressive bark as they rise to the red end of the tacho. Music to a mature biker's ears.


In top, the Honda is geared to 15mph per thousand revs, and it will pull 40, 60, 80 and 100mph in the lower gears without getting too much blood on the needle. Once the clock has 2500rpm up, it'll pull cleanly to the redline. Vibration is apparent, but not in the mirrors and my pillion's more delicate rump complains occasionally after sustained 85mph cruising, which is as much as my neck muscles can cope with.

I have covered 6000 miles in the last three months, and feel none of the discomfort in my wrists and shoulders that my first town riding brought on. The OE tyres were replaced at 7000 miles by Dunlop Arrowmaxes, the front pads were on the metal by 6500 miles, and now with 10,000 on the clock, the chain is looking a bit iffy. I change the oil every thousand miles and the filter every two thou, which is about twice as often as recommended by Honda. In return, the bike has taken me, a pillion, tons of camping gear, to the Lake District twice, Cornwall for a weekend, and a number of trips just for the hell of it, as well as providing me with everyday transport.

Although I am actually enjoying the new muscles in my upper body from the riding position and allied wind blast, I think I will fit a sports fairing and some hard luggage when funds permit. Overall, the bike gives between 50 and 60mpg of two star, depending on how I exercise the right wrist, although it's quite easy to average 55mpg.

Perhaps, like its owner, the XBR is a little schizophrenic, for it will plonk along all day like a vintage tractor, yet turn into a mildly enraged bull and charge on a surge of torque as the mood takes it (or the rider). I like the bike a lot, even its functional lines and bulbous petrol tank, but most of all, for those like me rapidly approaching forty, it sounds like a proper bike. Nostalgia is a terrible thing.


John Hodgett