Monday 14 June 2021

Harley Debate: two 883 owners cross swords

First impressions: Brilliant, really relaxed and laid back, loads of low down torque and an engine that felt alive with no need to check the clocks. The controls were very heavy and the brakes dull but after a few days they all seemed to come together OK. The engine made so much noise I thought it was about to die a death. And that rumbling vibration at low revs set my teeth on edge as much as the front fender was jumping about. Agricultural sprang to mind but underneath all the noise and vibes it went OK. I only really found the clutch heavy going.

First nasty moment: The time I grabbed the brakes when a car shot out of nowhere. Nothing seemed to happen for a long while then retardation was very slow, the engine braking hammering through the transmission was more help! First stop for any serious owner is some Goodridge hose and aftermarket pads! The brakes are bad and I wasn't happy until I'd added a second disc to the front end but what really shook me up was coming out of a country bend when the rear shocks gave up and the back end tried to pogostick into oblivion. With Progressive shocks the handling becomes reasonable - if you have the muscle quite an adequate pace can be held. I didn’t think the suspension was that bad until about 5000 miles when the shocks lost all their damping.

Comfort: Initially, I was impressed. The dual seat was well shaped whilst the bars and pegs had a good relationship. Longer runs revealed that the bend of the bars was all wrong with a lot of wrist pain. I can do 70mph for a couple of hours with a milder set of bars fitted. I was in hell after the first half hour, the solo seat’s a real ball buster. The only reason for such a shape that I can think of is that you'll go screaming to the nearest Harley dealer for the dual seat option. Anyway, what kind of pervert buys a Harley without any way of taking the gals pillion? There are so many after-market seats around it’s really not a problem.

Engine impressions: Gets better with time. The more I ride the thing the more I enjoy its personality. Sure, it vibrates a little bit at the bottom and top of the range but that just gives it a bit of character. The air filter and exhaust are very restrictive, just de-gutting them gives a useful edge to the performance and even improves the economy. Even with Supertrapp exhaust and freer flowing air filter it's pig slow after 70mph, though nice to roll on and off the throttle in top gear, with a surge of low rev torque and a deep animal bellow. Put it this way, a hard ridden 400 Superdream will burn off the Harley - rather dispiriting given the macho image! It's not that bad, I don’t have any trouble with non-motorway traffic speeds and have even done the ton on occasion.
Once a year maybe, but at those revs the thing gives the impression of falling apart.

Vibration: After six months it all fades into the background, I like the way the engine works. Fades into the background? Come on! It doesn't worry me as much as it used to but what about all the cycle parts it's destroyed? Indicators, ignition units, lights even the fenders? You have to run the mill in properly, replace the lights with better stuff, add some extra rubber mounting and go over the bolts once a week. It’s called owner involvement. Maybe you've got a better engine than mine, one where all the tolerances went the right way, because mine can still destroy things. Harley should rubber mount the engine or change the throw of the crankpins. That would kill the whole character of the bike. It works so leave well alone.


Reliability: Impressive. With automatic hydraulic valve adjusters, electronic ignition and a single carb there's hardly anything to do, once it’s set up properly. Just go over the bolts and change the oil. I’ve had to fit two primary chain tensioners, have the back cylinder's valves replaced and had two new sets of rings installed - in less than 15000 miles. Sure, maintenance costs are low but the destructive vibes and poor engine components combine to make every ride an adventure and membership of the AA compulsory. I've done 22000 miles without taking a spanner to the engine internals and haven't come close to breaking down on the open road - you have to ride within the spirit of the bike. Sure, slowly, slowly!

Handling: Takes some getting used to above 50mph but with decent shocks it’s predictable and responds to positive inputs. Like the brakes, the response is slow, almost stately. British roads can cause some mild weaves and wobbles, using up the suspension travel which causes the undercarriage to grind away - not conducive to along and happy life. Just ride through it, the frame’s basically tough and the beast doesn't get too far out of line if maximum muscle's exerted. You can actually do some weird and wonderful manoeuvres without falling off - clock any movie with cops on Harley police bikes if you don't believe me.


Road holding: The OE tyres aren't brilliant on wet roads but Metzelers or Michelins are good and mileage is surprising given the bike's size - over 10000 miles. I like Contis myself but they only last for 8000 miles and I’ve never reached a state of happiness on wet roads, it always feels like it’s waiting for an opportunity to let loose. I've ridden worse bikes but haven't fallen off the Harley, so it’s adequate. I came off on some greasy bit of road on the original tyres, but we were only doing 10mph, so damage was negligible.


Touring ability: I've got the comfort sorted out but even with a bigger tank I have to look for fuel after 120 miles but think I could sit on the bike for twice that mileage at 60 to 70mph. I've kept the puny stock tank because after 50 miles the vibes have sent my hands and feet dead - if I don’t pull over I think I could do myself some serious damage. That's cruising at 75 to 85mph, the minimum speed that you can get away with without.causing the traffic to back up. I've only rarely done more than 200 miles in a day of riding. Come on, if you get in the right frame of mind, relax a little and enjoy the scenery, a really pleasant 400 to 500 miles can be done in a day. I'd rather take the train than subject myself to that kind of abuse. The 883 can be ridden hard for short distances or slowly for long distances but not fast for a long time. Just slow down and enjoy life a little!

Transmission: The gearbox is a bit agricultural in action but usually gets there with a bit of slow, precise footwork. The standard chain is crap, dead in about 4000 miles. I’m running an O-ring conversion which is fine but I still yearn for a belt final drive. The chain primary drive is a touch primitive but hasn't failed yet. Nasty, nasty and nasty, only the large dollop of torque and the infrequent need to use the box makes it tolerable. I ended up with a belt final drive that almost transforms the gear change action. Harley should do the decent thing, fit belt primary and final drives as standard. Amen!


Finish: Good if you keep working at it, though the paint does flake off the frame and chrome rusts on a few minor ancillaries. Very poor if you ride in winter on salted road, just about everything corrodes if it's not cleaned daily. I’ve owned Japanese bikes that have much better finishes but as half the bike has to be replaced I don't suppose it really matters!

Lasting impressions: I'm going to keep mine for a long time. A lot of the minor problems should've be sorted out at the factory and I don’t see how they can get away with that front brake. It’s not that expensive to upgrade to a more useful spec and there's a lot to be said to personalizing a bike to your own tastes (What, like having brakes that actually work? A tank that gives a range of more than 70 miles? No other manufacturer could get away with this shit - 2021 Ed.). The character filled motor actually encourages you to ride along at a relaxed, moderate pace and manages to remove the feeling of boredom that emanated from most Jap bikes at 60mph. The Harley is too charismatic to explain on paper, you have to ride one to understand. I’d buy another if mine’s stolen, but would try to go for a nearly new one with all the mods already done. Anyone who doesn't get on with the Harley experience can get out easily enough as they don't depreciate rapidly and sell quickly. Despite myself, and all the above moaning, I can't bring myself to off-load the brute! It’s vibratory, slow, a handful to handle and fitted with diabolical brakes as stock, but it's also brim full of the essence of motorcycling - I want to buy a bigger one, something like an Electraglide!

G.Williams/M. Carne