Monday 23 August 2021

MZ TS125

I bought a brand new TS125 Alpine and wobbled away from the dealers (I was new to the game) and just about made it home alive. I found the MZ ideal for a novice - the clutch is light, there's no power band and only four gears to worry about. I was impressed by the overall quality of the construction, it looked and felt tough and durable, all metal no flimsy plastic.

The TS coped with the 50 mile grind, never doing anything unpredictable - just as well, I wouldn't have been able to cope with speed wobbles or slides. After running in, it would only do 60mph. I found out how slow it was when I borrowed a friend's Suzi A100, but the MZ handled better and was much more comfortable.


Finish was excellent - after two years the paint and alloy came up like new even though it had been left outside every day and it was used for racing the lads as well as commuting and touring. As a tourer it’s adequate as long as you keep away from motorways - the one time I tried was terrifying, everything on wheels goes faster than an MZ125 loaded down with camping gear. Using B roads and stopping to look at things is much more fun, otherwise the mind numbing tedium of crawling along at 50mph will send you to sleep. I managed 250 miles in a day which coincided with running out of fuel and a character building five mile push.


If you want to race fast bikes, do it on curvy, single lane roads; the only problem is the tractors. You can even take the bike off road, thanks to the long travel suspension and the low speed torque, I could even race trail bikes. As a general day to day hack, the MZ is as good as any of the Jap offerings. Reliability is no problem and the bike's big enough to strap on heavy loads (for instance, three bags of coal).


All was going well until some blind car driver did the usual trick - the MZ survived a lot better than my poor foot which was rather bloody. The side panel and kickstart both straightened out after a little work with a big hammer and the car driver paid up some substantial compensation, although the plod refused to prosecute; didn’t want the extra paper work, I suppose.


The tyres were alright in the dry but appalling in the wet, the gearbox needs a slow, deliberate action to avoid false neutrals, the speedo was very inaccurate and the open plan fuse box a rust collector recognizable when the lights dimmed to nothing. I didn’t mind these faults but someone who’s used to the latest Japs would go crazy.


In two years and 15000 miles I never needed to change the enclosed chain, brake shoes or front tyre (the rear lasted 13000 miles). Petroil consumption was between 70-90mpg and I changed the gearbox oil every 3000 miles. Used prices range from £300 for a two year old example from a dealer to around £50 for a bike over four years old bought privately with a lot of life still left in it. Cheap enough to buy, take your test and throw away or keep as a second bike.


A. R. Everett