Sunday 12 September 2021

Harley Davidson XLH1000

The chance to possess a Harley arose out of a misunderstanding with a woman cage driver. I don’t think Give Way signs were in her copy of the Highway Code. Both the wife and myself went through the screen of the fairing of an old CX500, over the bonnet and landed on the road. I managed to only break a wrist, whilst the wife escaped injury. I always thought pillions came off worst.
 
The outcome of all this mess was that she admitted liability and I was nearly £3000 better off! I went to see a Sportster at a dealers and fell in love. At £3000 it was almost a grand cheaper than new (back then) and only 2500km on the clock. I had to have it!
 
When it was finally delivered to my house, I nearly broke my neck in the rush to get my helmet on. It took almost two minutes to find the ignition hidden down the left side by the horn. Choke out, push the button and she fired up, ticking over on fast idle. After a bit of warming up, I shut the choke and she settled down to a gorgeous, unique V-twin tickover.

 
Used to Jap bikes, riding the Harley was a whole new ballgame. Out were quick gear changes, replaced by slow, positive clunks, the bike pulling from 30mph in top without a flat spot and approximately one bang per lamp-post. You can really feel the engine through the seat, not an unpleasant vibration (or so the wife tells me), but a rumble which reminds you that you only have to open the throttle to thump away. Harleys are famous for their low down torque and it really did pull like a train.

 
Emergency braking doesn’t exactly stand the bike on its head, a bit of looking ahead is useful, but then the engine braking makes up for the lack of brake power. The front brake lever needs a very strong grip to achieve even moderate breaking.

 
The bike appeared quiet for a Harley, the local dealer told me it had been fitted with the US silencers which were restrictive. A pair of drag pipes and a free flow Screamin’ Eagle air filter were fitted. After the mixture screw was turned out half a turn it went a bloody sight faster and sounded like a Harley should [An unsilenced dumper truck perchance? - 2021 Ed.] - I was now able to burn off my mate's highly tuned X7 without even bothering to change down a gear.
 
People who say Harleys don't handle are talking out of their sphincter. Obviously, it doesn’t handle like a ZX10, but I can happily chuck it about. The low centre of gravity helps its stability. There were a few wobbles on tight corners, especially when it hit white lines, but this could have been down to the Bridgestone When I fitted a set of Avons it virtually vanished.
The other thing causing a few frightening moments could’ve been the wheel bearings. They are supposed to have a bit of play in them (one MOT tester swore blind they do not) and you replace the spacers when they wear out - mine had.
 
Chain life was remarkably good, which surprised me - about 12080 miles on average, providing it was well cooked in Linklyfe now and again. One major disadvantage was the lack of a centre stand - you have to jack up the rear end to remove the rear wheel or adjust the chain. Not such a discomfort when you get used to it, but it makes roadside puncture repairs amusing if you can get that huge 140 section tyre off.

 
The guy at the dealers also told me about running it on straight 50 weight oil - the detergent in 20/50 disturbs all the crap in the engine. Engine maintenance is easy and simple. Only the ancient chain primary drive gives any cause for concern. Valve clearances are adjusted by tappets at the base of the pushrods - ten minutes. The electronic ignition is left alone. A screw-in car type oil filter is dead easy to change but don’t use a car replacement as the flow rate ain‘t the same.

 
Availability of parts is excellent and, contrary to popular belief, don't cost an arm and a leg. Which other bike can you buy almost every single part separately such as one screw, one switch etc. The most you have to wait is two weeks for it to come from the States. An after-market copy is usually available if the genuine part is hard to find. No other make of bike has so many after-market parts available [You're confusing 'parts' with 'stick-on chromed tat', I fear - 2021 Ed.].

 
These are mere details, ownership of a Harley is much more than the sum of its parts. The feel of the bike is entirely unique and does it turn heads - I'm sure if I wasn’t married that I'd have no trouble... I even left a nearly full pint in the pub once because I was itching to get back on it.

 
If you're thinking about buying one, now’s the time. They are not expensive compared to top Jap stuff and will last much longer [Just like Trigger's broom - 2021 Ed.] There are now loads of imported Harleys on sale, a 1340 Lowrider for £3800, anyone? You will never regret purchase of a Harley, I and every other Harley owner promise you that.

 
Rob Glenton