Sunday 23 January 2022

Hacking: Suzuki GT185

My mate was moving house and I jokingly suggested that I use his X7 Suzi through the move - surprisingly he took up my generous offer. Did I know it needed a new rear tyre, MOT and a bit of checking over? OK, how long could keep it - until they settled down in the new house; great, he even paid for the rear tyre.

This, then, was my reintroduction to motorcycling after an absence of 20 years. My last machine was a 225 Francis Barnett. The X7 proved to be abut three times as powerful, two thirds of the mass and about ten times the brown trouser effect. I was approaching forty and an X7 after 20 years can't be recommended except as a somewhat expensive cure for constipation, but I loved it.


After 400 miles the bug had bitten and by giving all the family lifts for short trips out without mishaps, I persuaded the wife I wasn’t past it and she released some funds to buy a suitable ride to work machine.

The GT185 appeared in the local paper at 150 notes, a bit dear but worth a look. However, the phone number did not answer, even after several tries. After a week, no other bikes were advertised, so I tried the number again, this time I got a reply. He only lived a mile away; the wife came along to make sure her money wasn’t wasted.


It looked good apart from a rusted front guard. It had a new rear Mandrake, new chain and sprockets, new battery, started and ran well with 14000 miles on the clock and he also claimed to have done a decoke. A test ride found a stiff clutch, sound gearbox, it drove well, went straight with hands off but suspension was a bit soft at each end. I bought it.

The next day close inspection and a clean revealed a cracked RH engine casing - a few phone calls found a replacement at the local breakers for £8. Lots of lubricant was liberally applied throughout the bike, a new set of pattern points, and two spark plugs were fitted.

I ran it for 1500 miles in all weathers and found the front Jap tyre as bad as reports suggested - an Avon 180 Supreme transformed the handling, especially in the wet. With 16000 miles on the clock the rear shocks were shot and replaced, via the breaker, with a Honda set for £8.


By 17000 miles I’d bought a workshop manual and checked the timing with a home made depth gauge (hollowed out plug and piece of silver steel) and bulb across the points. I only did this once in three years and had no problems with starting or hot running.

I tried to cure the clutch by fitting a new cable, but this didn’t help the drag, apparently endemic to this model. I drilled another pivot hole in the operating arm to increase movement, accepting the increase in resultant clutch lever pressure. Although it improves matters a little, it is not the cure, perhaps the friction plate material expands when hot and new plates would correct this annoying fault and make it possible to find neutral at a standstill.

During the time I owned this bike, some of the 7000 miles were during the period laughingly referred to as summer (you know, when the rain is warm) and quite a few long trips were undertaken. Well, my backside felt they were long anyway, about 175 miles was my endurance limit, partially due my six foot height. However, I enjoyed them all, except when having the rear tyre re-profiled by Cretina drivers, running their bumpers under the top box.

The GT has been replaced by a XS250 that I’d rebuilt over the winter. The Suzi is still running six months after I sold it. I found it a very enjoyable and reliable bike and have no real complaints.

Derek Anstey