Monday 21 March 2022

Suzuki GSX550

Browsing through the MCN classifieds en route to work one very ordinary Wednesday morning my heart suddenly skipped a beat. Tucked away at the end of the Suzuki section there it was Suzuki GXS550, D reg, 6000 miles, light damage £1250ono. Upon looking through the new bike prices it appeared to be listed at three grand and discounted to £2500.

Was it really conceivable that I could replace my aging GS750 with a D reg bike of comparable performance for only twice the value of the GS. No, it must be hype, that light accident damage probably meant a bent frame and forks. Of course, the only way to find out was to telephone the vendor.

It soon transpired that the bike was being sold by a dealer who'd bought the damaged bike from an insurance company. If his story was to be believed, the guy who had owned the bike had thrown it up the road following the common occurrence of a motorist pulling out in front of him. From what the dealer said, the fairing lowers had absorbed most of the impact, and in the process scrapped themselves. There was also a broken anti-dive unit and a bent frame, which the dealer had straightened on his jig he was willing to give me a certificate that it was within manufacturer’s tolerances and was able to transfer the guarantee.

Upon further questioning it was revealed that the bike was six months old and had been standing for five months while the insurance company delayed payment for as long as possible. When I asked why, if the damage was so light, he didn’t repair it himself, he replied that it was too much trouble. This should have got the alarm bells ringing, but when he added that it was virtually as new and could be ridden away, my heart raced ahead of my brain.

The next step was the most difficult - persuading the wife. Fortunately, I had been paving the way for some months in advance by a subtle process of indoctrination. In principle she liked the idea of posing on the back of an almost new bike. Her self esteem had taken several knocks recently. First, she had experienced the ignominy of being seen pushing our elderly GS750 after it had expired some miles from home due to an electrical problem. Second, she had been forced to walk a couple of miles, fully togged up in riding gear, after another breakdown. I had been telling her how much more reliable a new machine would be - it would also be lighter and much smarter. Tentatively, she asked me to establish what colour the bike was. What colour? Anything to oblige when I told her it was red and black she appeared to be impressed and said if I could get the price reduced by £200 it could be mine.

The dealer said the price was negotiable but only by £100, and that the front brakes needed a part that he couldn’t obtain to make them work, but offered to trailer it to my home. I quoted various impressive quotes from road tests at the wife; by the time I'd finished even the dog was keen. After a sleepness night I was at the building society before the doors were open, somewhat amazed that the wife had allowed me extract a large proportion of our life savings. The new windows we had planned would have to wait. I had omitted to inform her of the full extent of the damage and the cost of fairing lowers.

We took the car to Southampton where the dealer lived three and a half hours of traffic jams - the traffic was almost as bad there as London and we were promptly lost. We eventually found the shop, which was quite large, with an interesting selection of machinery from new MZs to commuter Japs and street racers. I spotted the GSX almost immediately. Apart from a small number of scratches and a little corrosion, it was almost in as new condition. A certificate was quickly produced to say that the frame was within specifications. The main damage was, indeed, limited to the fairing lowers and right fork anti-dive. With only 600 miles on the clock, the engine sounded as new, burbling away quite happily as we talked. I got the impression that there was a touch of harshness but the dealer said it was just in need of its first service. After a bit of haggling we agreed a price of £1150 inclusive of delivery to my home.

When I got the bike home I was able to examine the GSX properly and could find no greater damage. The next day I phoned around the breakers trying to obtain an anti-dive unit. After calling Scotland, the North West and London, I eventually located one which upon payment of an exorbitant price of £40 arrived in my hands within 4 days.

After some difficulty I managed to obtain some pressure from the front brake lever, so off I went on my first test tide. First impressions were of smoothness and compactness, it felt light and nimble, moderate bend swinging was accomplished without a thought and reminded me of the ease with which I could flick an FS1E through the curves. The brakes appeared very powerful, the front discs pinning the front end down in a controlled and stable manner, although the rear disc brake was too powerful, locking up the back wheel, but used with respect helped to balance up the weight distribution when braking. The only real fly in the ointment was the clunky gear shift, downward changes requiring a double jointed dexterity through the six speed box. However, this appears to have improved with acquaintance.

Shortly afterwards the bike was taken for its first service, carried out by the local Suzuki agent at a cost of £50. The mechanic confirmed my own findings that the machine was in first class order with no legacy of the accident and Suzuki confirmed that the warranty could be transferred to me without any hassle.

Gradually, the running in period was completed and slowly more and more performance could be used. There is no discernible power band as such. Acceleration is brisk provided all the revs are used, although the addition of a passenger tends to affect acceleration quite markedly and it’s necessary to have six grand on the clock to really make a go of it. Compared to my 750 there is quite a lack of mid-range pull. This becomes really noticeable when trying to overtake a line of cars, at say 50mph, two-up.

Whilst the handling is generally very good I have encountered several small problems which prevent it being defined as excellent. First, the 16" front wheel does tend to fall into corners - I’ve become accustomed to it but never feel entirely happy. The other handling problem is caused by tyre wear - the rear tyre lasted only 3000 miles, the front 5000. Once the tyre becomes worn down to 2-3mm a weave sets in at 80mph and white-lining occurs. Arrowmaxes seem to be the best tyres to fit.

While on the subject of replacement parts I have been unable to obtain a pair of matching fairing lowers despite scouring the MCN classifieds virtually every week for about a year. Also, it seems that none of my local dealers carry stocks of even basic spares so that it’s nigh on impossible to obtain spares the same day. The price of these spares is something else. New fairing lowers were priced at £136 each several years ago (according to one of the monthly mags). The cheapo plastic mudguard then cost £46 and the CDI ignition unit £138. How anyone can afford these exorbitant prices I'll never know and they have probably increased by now.

I am unable to comment on durability since I try not to use the GSX in wet weather, preferring my ageing Superdream. However, the residue of the corrosion which took place when the bike was stored either outside or somewhere very damp following the accident is still apparent. The two inner exhaust pipes are rusting, the wheels are still pitted despite my attempts to polish them out. The black paint on the engine has chipped off and some of the thinly applied silver frame paint is Tusting away. I hate to think what the bike would look like if it was used all year round and on salted roads. Having said that, from a distance the bike still looks presentable.

I have recorded fuel consumption throughout the whole period of my ownership - best overall figure was 65mpg (achieved during running in), worst 56mpg and the average is over 60mpg. I don’t use all of the performance all of the time, but suspect that these figures would reflect the average use of most GSXs. A fuel gauge is fitted and shows red either just before or just after reserve is needed. At times, when fuel runs out the engine stops dead and. won’t tun until reserve is turned on, not very funny under certain circumstances. Another problem is that the engine will cut out without any warning at traffic lights, and the like, when the motor is revved for a swift take off. I’ve also had trouble with the anti-dive unit I fitted as there is a small leak of hydraulic fluid which eats away the paint on the fork leg - it’s such a nuisance to bleed the whole system that I’ve decided to live with it.

The motor continues in the tradition of the ultra tough GS550, but is slightly more finicky in that the sixteen valve head required more attention and the gearbox isn’t as tough. Problems on high mileage or thrashed and neglected bikes centre around the electrics with the same neat trick of burning out alternators and regulators as on earlier bikes. But I’ve not had that problem - yet. The clutch is also likely to terminate itself if the bike is subjected to excessive drag racing antics.

Top speed is around 125mph, although I’ve only ever had it up to 115 on the clock. Handling is probably the best I’ve ever experienced but this has to be put against my increasing age - it could just be I don’t push the bike as near to the limit as I used to. That said, in comparison with the latest hyperbikes (which admittedly I haven’t ridden but would dearly love to) I would guess the 550 loses out heavily in speed and has twitchy handling.

If you don’t ride around like an accident looking for somewhere to happen then the GSX is more than adequate, my only real reservation regarding the bike as an all-rounder is the lack of mid-range punch, Detained worth giving one a test ride if you’re in the used market for a 550 there are some nice bargains around if you look hard enough.

Martin Bradley