Tuesday 13 October 2020

UJMs Galore: Favourite Fours

These days, with a surfeit of sophisticated motorcycles on offer, it's all too easy to forget just what we had to put up with back in the early seventies and late sixties. I'd gone through more than my fair share of noxious Brits that self-destructed if not treated with an excess of TLC. The final insult, a 250 Ducati single that was supposedly able to crack the ton - it did it the once then exploded.

By the time 1977 rolled around I was ready for a bit of sophistication. In the form of a six month old Honda CB400F1. After that Ducati the Honda was absolute bliss - and I say that as a callow youth who took the piss out of rice-burners something rotten! I couldn't believe how easily it started, for instance. Rather than risk breaking my left ankle, all I had to do was press a button. And the smoothness of the four cylinder mill - right out of another (happier) world.

Revelling in all this sophistication, it took me a little while to realise that the four cylinder engine was just a bit gutless. It needed revs to fly, and then only managed 35 ponies flat out around the 105mph mark. 80mph cruising was about right, another 10mph if there was a following breeze. Handling was better than the Ducati because the latter had rock-hard suspension that allowed the bike to leap about on bumpy roads. There was the mildest of weaves at the ton but it wouldn't have made me back off. The single disc brake and rear drum were up to the standards of the day but a bit laughable compared to modem technology. Back then I had no complaints. Comfort was brilliant, the CB400 acknowledged at the time as one of the few Jap bikes to come fresh from the factory with ergonomics as good as your average BMW twin (which back then defined such things).

Melding with the machine was easy, there was nothing about it that intruded in an annoying way - to the extent that I often wasn't sure which of the six gears I was in or how fast I was going without looking at the clocks. Most British and Italian bikes were then such vibratory horrors that their cruising speeds were dictated by the rev range in the engine where they smoothed out, no need for clocks, really.

Such was the joy at finding a motorcycle that could be ridden without worrying if I was going to reach my destination aboard a machine that was still in one piece, that huge mileages were clocked up on the little 400 four. It came with 3000 miles on the clock, after less than six months that had grown to 26500 miles... unfortunately, at that kind of mileage there's a strong likelihood of the pistons and bores going down. I knew something was wrong because it didn't want to pull more than 90mph in top gear, even down ahill. Smoke out of the exhaust soon followed.

When I stripped the engine down, the small-end were also shot. My sarcastic local Honda mechanic reckoned I hadn't ever changed the oil - on one trip had left it for 3500 miles, so that might've contributed to its demise. I had the chance of buying a Hon CB750K four of a similar vintage for a bargain price, so the little Honda sat in pieces in a corner of garage - for a while! The 750 was a big old lump, a real handful after the svelte F1. But the motor had a charm all of its own. I liked the mid-range grunt and didn't even mind the way it would buzz a bit as maximum revs were sought. Saw 140mph on the clock, tumed the handling very interesting. The bike came with improbably high bars and forward mounted pegs, had to-contort myself to get my head between the clocks!
 

The bike appeared to have both weak headstock and swinging arm mounts, when they both started to wobble in sync the CB750 liked to take over two lanes of highway! Took some getting used to, much diminished by using flat bars, rear-sets and Girling shocks. New steering head bearings had a major effect on front end Stability (this with 14000 miles on the clock) and once used to the 500Ibs of mass I could ride with unknown speed and had total faith in the engine. Did 45000 miles in a year with nothing going wrong with the motor. By then the primary hyvoid chain was a bit clattery, the gearbox required a particularly determined left foot and the clutch was dragging a bit in town... But it came as absolutely no surprise that the new owner took her around the clock without a stripdown. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that the bike could still tum a wheel, though today you don't see many on the road.

I'd found the bits to do up the CB400 but the bike never ran as silkily smooth as when I'd first bought it. Both Hondas were sold at the same time, to raise funds for the next monster machine. Yep, it just had to be a Kawasaki Z900. This was literally king of road at the time, an amazing piece of advanced technology that had the legs on the smaller Honda in every possible way. I swelled with pride just sitting aboard the shining beast!

Everywhere in the rev range the engine was that much stronger, hit 6000 revs and the world sped backwards at a dastardly rate. Handling varied from bike to bike - for some reason - and I had one of the bad ones. I should've been used to loose handling but the Z was something else. Combined with marginal brakes, it took a lot of fun out of going around corners. If I hadn't lost enough speed to bounce around the curve I was in real trouble, it just didn't like the idea of a trailing throttle or braking when banked over.

The straights were another matter - totally exhilarating! I swear I was suffering from blurred vision after a bit of drag racing with the lads! That motor was as tough as they came, vibrated less than the Honda and seemed to thrive on revs. After the F1 fiasco I was a bit religious about the oil changes but apart from that did 40000 miles of rather neglectful riding without any apparent ill-effects on the motor.

The one thing I did hate about the Z900 was wet weather riding, the power would have the tyres skidding all over the tarmac unless I was very careful with the throttle and the front disc had an appalling bit of wet weather lag that stopped my heart many a time. Just often enough to have me nervous about long trips, the engine would cut out on one cylinder in heavy rain and I soon became a WD40 enthusiast.

I celebrated the early eighties by selling everything I owned, spending a few years on the hippie trail through India! It was all that free love that did it! Back in Blighty, took a while to get some serious dosh together and I ended up hustling around on a Yamaha XS1100, of all things! This made the Z seem like a moped. It had great gobs of torque, a frenzy of vibes after 7500 revs (with 39000 miles on the clock) and the handling truculence of a buffalo with a wasp up its whatsit!

Pushing 600lbs of shaft driven monster motorcycle hard sure got the adrenaline going! This was a bike with seriously bad karma, man! And a highly destructive nature. It was so slowly turning that it threatened to bulldoze its way through obstacles on the back of its outrageous momentum. I once put 140mph on this dead straight, smooth piece of motorway but it was like being aboard a wallowing roller-coaster and the vibes had my eyeballs rotating in their sockets.
 

Seriously weird and not even particularly strong, the crank's main bearings going pop at around the 57000 mile mark, though, again, I'd ridden the old thing in neglect mode. I put in this treacle-like oil and pottered down to the local dealer, got a good trade-in deal on a Honda CB650 the one with the Euro-styling and Comstar wheels. The poor old dealer went nuts when the mechanic blew the motor up a couple of days later and even came around my house to complain but my wife saw him off! These ex-hippy babes are tougher than they look!

The Honda was as mild as could be after the previous series of monster fours, based as it was on the CB400/500 design which even came out as a 350 in Japan. You could tell it was a bit stretched by the fierce secondary vibes around 9000 revs, worse than the original 750 four! It wasn't that slow, though, 125mph on the clock kept it in the game and ton-plus cruising well within its capacity. The clock read 19000 miles, the paint and chrome still shone, and it whirred away with typical Honda tenacity.

Handling was much better than the earlier bikes, up there with the 400 for the ease with which it could be slung through the bends despite weighing an extra 60 pounds. It already had Girling shocks, leaving me to fit the obligatory flat bars that worked well with the stock footrests. Braking was weak, fuel heavy at 40mpg (full throttle most of the time!) and the drive chain remarkable in its lack of longevity - as little as 3000 miles!

With 38000 miles on the clock, meticulous maintenance sessions included (I was learning from experience - at last!), i felt that the motor was beginning to show its age and sold it off privately. A Suzuki GS850 its replacement, the wife insisting _ that we needed a bit more capacity and a shaftie to do some serious Continental touring. The GS didn't seem any faster than the CB, though it needed less effort on the throttle to achieve the same velocity.


The handling was surprisingly good with none of the viciousness I'd half expected from the shaft drive. The DOHC motor was made to pretty much the same standards as the defining Z1 and I had great faith in it. I was pleasantly surprised by the way it needed virtually no maintenance - the valves and carbs were always fine, the ignition electronic, leaving just the oil and filter changes to do every 2000 miles. Less if the bike was just used in town because the oil emulsified and I couldn't even see through the crud on the sight-glass!

Two long Continental cruises plus the usual commuting and weekend riding had their effect on the GS, which I almost thought of as a venerable friend. Mostly in the chassis which was the fastest rotting I'd ever experienced. Things like silencers fell off in less than 15000 miles, engine alloy became a real mess, as did the cast wheels, and don't even talk to me about the disc's calipers - I might turn violent. Many of the GS range share similar chassis components so there were plenty of cheap replacement parts - it was just all the hassle involved in getting the corroded old stuff off!

Eventually, I tired of fighting the elements and decided it was time to move on. The wife, with the birth of our daughter, had turned rather chilly towards motorcycles. Impressed with the GS's engine, and even its handling (but then what wouldn't impress after past horrors!) I happily bought a GS550 Katana. The gleaming, really immaculate, machine had only had one owner and done just 4500 miles. Had to be a good buy! Performance was almost as good as the 850 as it carried so much less mass and handling was the best I'd ever experienced on a Jap four, even if the comfort could go AWOL after half an hour.

I was surprised by the economy at 60-65mpg and annoyed by the quick wear chain drive and triple discs. The smoothness of the bike was up there with the CB400 four although the flat out top speed of 115mph was a bit disappointing for the claimed 60 horses. Finish was much better than the 850's, though the silencers were reduced to dust by 25000 miles. Because finances were tight, the GS was run on a shoestring budget for a few years, clocking up over 100000 miles in the process. The first bike I ever took around the clock! Sad - no, shattered - when I came out to the back garden to find the door off its hinges and the GS nowhere to be seen. That was the last I heard of it!

A couple of years went by in the car until my wife relented and let me buy a tatty Yamaha XJ750 that I immediately set upon and soon had painted and polished up nicely. A bit of an underrated four, the XJ, it had bags of power and torque, would do an easy 125mph and handled better than most eighties fours lacked the GS550's stability but was quicker through the bends. I got away with some outrageous manoeuvres with my new found enthusiasm for all things twowheeled! The wife often ended up screaming loudly! Too much madness led to an accident. I somehow survived but both the car (into whose side I'd ridden - I still haven't figured how he got there) and the bike were beyond salvage. The wife gave me a total earbashing but I think she loves me really! I didn't even bother trying to do anything for the XJ - it was too far gone. A pity, it was a neat old thing in its way.

The only bike the wife would let me buy, after that, was a Kawasaki Z400 four, a tired one at that. There simply wasn't the acceleration to get myself into trouble and despite its small capacity it needed the same effort as a 550 to throw around! After 4000 miles of total neglect - it wouldn't rev high enough to bounce the valves - the camchain snapped! The tensioner was always a bit dodgy on these models (especially the similar 500/550 fours) and it had stuck, causing the camchain to attack the engine alloy - the added noise drowned out by the normal rattles.

A used camchain and tensioner later, I was back on the road but it couldn't be called fun. After much pleading with the wife  was allowed to buy something a little bit bigger. She hit the roof when I rolled up on a big old Suzuki 1100 Katana! Just standing still it looked bloody dangerous!

A fast old bruiser that didn't really get into the action until there was at least a ton on the clock, unlike other Suzuki's of that era it had quite frightening handling! But then I probably shouldn't have been trying to break through the ton-fifty barrier. It sure tunes up the nervous system sitting atop 550Ibs of heavy metal that might explode into a wild speed wobble without any warning! It didn't like ton-plus curves either, wanted to go into the old shake, rattle and roll routine. Still, after the past hacks it was one hell of a buzz.

Held on to the Suzuki for nearly a year, did 19000 miles despite awful comfort - the wife used to go hyper after half an hour on the pillion perch. Fuel was around 45mpg, not bad going for such a big brute. Top speed - more than 150mph but I couldn't keep a grip on the bars to find out! Reliability was total, as you'd expect from a Suzuki mill. Expenses included four lots of front disc pads, three chain and sprocket sets (the wheelies, I think...) and four pairs of Metz tyres! Those costs were more or less covered when | sold on at a nice fat profit!

Next in line, an XJ900. Old but low mileage, fond memories of the XJ750 made me overlook the stories about speed wobbles - couldn't be as bad as the Katana, could it? As it happens, yes! Despite having done only 12000 miles, the engine vibrated away harshly, never found a smooth spot in the rev range. It was at its best, acceleration-wise, between 80 and 125mph, in top gear. I could've hae fun playing with the throttle had not the bars leapt back and forth from lock to lock every time the speedo touched 85mph. I spent a while experimenting with the tyre pressures, tightening down chassis bolts and making sure wheel alignment was perfect but the chassis didn't seem to have enough weight over the front wheel, the handlebar mounted half fairing having little resistance when it was caught out by the airstream. Even a set of new tyres didn't help.

The obvious solution was to dump the fairing. I decided a modern headlamp smaller and lighter - would also help. This left a mess of wiring with nowhere to go so I had to rewire the bike to get most of the wiring away from the front end - it's surprising how much junk manufacturers insist on hiding in inappropriate places. That done I was annoyed to find the amount of wind blast coming off the front end, the quarter fairing much more effective than it looked.

Now the speed wobble came in at 95mph instead of 85mph. An effective top speed of 90mph was incredibly boring. I deemed a set of ace-bars - get more weight over the front wheel - the answer. I actually bought a set of used adjustable Jota-style bars - had the choice of a similar upright riding position to the stock XJ or having my head down in the clocks.

I started off at the most extreme setting, which judging by the mass on my wrists was certainly putting a lot more weight over the front end. The speed wobble came in at 115mph! Even more vicious than normal but that was probably the extra speed. This was still a bit too slow but a step in the right direction. New swinging arm and steering head bearings were added next, a bit of a tussle with the former but! got there in the end. That all added up to reasonable stability up to 125mph, when the motor was, anyway, gasping for breath. But only with an extreme setting on the clip-ons and on smooth, straight roads.

Bumpy bends, the bike really didn't feel safe above 90mph! Smooth bends it went all queasy after the ton-ten and backing off the throttle had the shaft drive reacting in a frenzy, though it wasn't a problem at slower speeds. Combined with the vibes, it was the kind of cycle that communicated its progress in a mad kind of way that you either liked or hated.

I was beginning to actually like the bike after about two months of getting used to it when I had another crash! This was getting to be a habit! Blasting the XJ through Central London traffic that was moving at a rabid pace, the front brake faltered during a bit of the old cut and thrust. The twin discs were normally heavy stoppers but this time, for some reason, they didn't work half as well as they should've. I tried explaining this to the ancient in the taxi but he seemed to be having some kind of fit and I felt lucky that the force of the collision had distorted the doors into their frames! I'd nearly been thrown over the bars and landed on the petrol tank with a thump! The front wheel was neatly shattered into several pieces, making it impossible for me to do a runner.
 

Amazingly, what I'd always thought of as flimsy forks didn't actually bend. The cops, when they turned up, were bored with the whole show, no carnage for them to mull over. Luckily, I had my documents on me. The accident wasn't far from a breakers so I got them to give me a hand. Kind chaps let me have a new front wheel for twenty notes and even let me use their tools. I took that as a hint to get shot of the bike before it killed me.

I was doing the rounds of the dealers when I saw something different - a Yamaha FXZ750 Fazer. One look was all it took for me to fall for the 3000 mile import. A not exactly generous trade-in deal for the rather rough looking XJ but I didn't give a damn, the HP would take care of the cost. The Fazer was the old FZ750 in street clothes with a drag racer look and gearing suited to beating everything else in the traffic light GP.

After the XJ it felt miraculously smooth, supremely stable and much faster accelerating. Almost snapped my head off my shoulders the first time I gave it some serious welly! Even the wife was quite excited by the hulking monster - until she found out how much I was paying every month! We were so taken by it we quickly did a round Britain jaunt, about 2000 miles over a long weekend with plenty of mixed riding - the Fazer coped pretty well, only struggling with ton-plus cruising - or rather, that was me struggling to maintain some kind of grip on the bars.

Great bike! Someone else thought so too, after three weeks it was nicked from outside a shop I'd gone into. The insurance just about covered what I owed on the HP. It had done about 40mpg, didn't use any oil and was quite happy in the city cut and thrust as well as on the back roads. | was quite keen to find another one but the only one I saw was a very tired 50000 miler - just didn't have the sap!

A bank loan produced the funds to buy a newish Honda CB750 Seven-Fifty. I was taken by its looks but disappointed by its lack of go. Despite having DOHC's it seemed slower than the original 750 four if much more sophisticated and better handling. It was also one of the most comfortable and relaxed fours I'd ever ridden, and if it lacked much by way of top end power it didn't need an excess of effort on the gearbox to run along in the 60-90mph range in top gear.

For some reason, it turned out to be an UJM with lots of character and I did a happy 24000 miles in the next couple of years. Stupidly, I was so impressed with the way the engine whirred away and didn't seem to need any maintenance that I neglected oil changes - for something like 15000 miles. I can't say why this happened as I'd been pretty good with” the maintenance on most of my bikes... I must've been reading all the tales of destruction testing in the UMG! The upshot of that neglect was knocking main bearings! The thick oil trick allowed me to trade the bike in for an older but lower mileage (14700 mile) CBX750 - I wasn't too out of pocket. This is the best four I've ever owned, Though it shared the same basic engine as the Seven-Fifty, they felt entirely different. The CBX had bags more power right through the range with a top end urge that was as good as the Fazer's. The chassis managed to be both stable and quick turning whilst the half fairing gave sufficient protection to get away with 120mph plus cruising. True, at those kind of speeds the vibration was pronounced and the fuel disappeared at nearly 30mpg - against an average of 50mpg. It was also a touch weighty for slinging around town but I soon became used to it. I would have liked to have the CBX engine in the CB750's chassis.

So far so good - 9000 miles of enjoyable biking, no near misses and the feeling that the motor's one tough bugger - and I do 1000 mile oil changes! Apart from the Z400 (which to be fair was nearly dead when I bought it) I've found lots of fun in all the UJM's I've owned even if a couple of them were near suicidal at speed. What next? I quite fancy the latest big bore Yamaha but don't tell the wife!

Mark Thompson