Monday 26 September 2022

Honda Gyro Canopy

In the UK, at least, three wheel motorcycles are forever associated with the Ariel Three. It came as something of a surprise to clock these weird trikes in central Tokyo. They looked like something that one’s grandma might safely be let loose upon. They went like shit off a shovel through the dense traffic, an excess of fun that would put the average juvenile delinquent to the test on a two-wheeler.

Just like the Ariel Three, the whole bike could be leant right over, the twin back wheels and engine remaining upright. Incredibly sharp turns were possible, much more extravagant riding that yer average two-wheeled fifty. The motive power was never going to be excessive, five horses at 6500 revs, effectively limiting top speed to around 45mph.

These trikes are not meant as fun bikes, though, but as hard working hacks that can haul fantastic loads, thanks to the combination of single seat and huge rear platform. I’ve seen things like fridges and massive TVs carted through the traffic with apparent ease. They can be tilted and turned with hardly any effort and at angles that would have normal bikes on their sides. That this splendid technology has yet to reach the UK is typically insane.

Even more so with the Canopy version. The same tilt and turn technology but with a full windscreen (and wiper) along with a roof. Stylistically this model works better than the other trikes and would surely win much praise in the wet and cold UK. I decided I had to experience one of these bikes. As they are such useful working machines buying a used one proved a massive hassle but eventually I tracked one down.

The Canopy feels much more like a rolling armchair than a conventional motorcycle, likely to win warm praise from the feet-forward fanatics. The 27.5 inch seat height makes for security but limited forward vision over the top of cars. Despite being designed for people of Japanese proportions, I didn’t feel cramped and found the ride relaxing. The all up mass of 280Ibs and unorthodox handling meant the lack of leverage from the narrow bars wasn’t a problem. If they were wider the whole styling effort would've become too pudgy; as it was,there was just sufficient width to protect me from the worst that the elements could throw at the bike.

The lack of foot controls was tempered by the simplicity of the remaining controls; just twist the throttle to go. This meant my concentration on the crazed traffic (much worse than London) was total - a real safely factor, especially if someone was coming to motorcycling for the first time. My one immediate disappointment was with the brakes which lacked power and made for some close misses until I adjusted to the amount of effort they required. They never locked up on me, very safe on wet roads.

Of course, the tilt to go feature of the bike’s the most amusing trait. I suppose that Honda designed in a huge safety factor, able to stop complete plonkers falling off. I found I could viciously flick the machine in the required direction and we'd tilt way over with all the mass over the back wheels keeping the Honda stable. Going for gaps in traffic was no problem, I was soon hustling the bike every which way. A huge smile on my face resulted at the end of each and every trip. When it rained I was in another world, although enough wind swirled around the plastic not to completely remove me from reality.

Curious to test the apparently never ending stability, I took the bike to a deserted car park where I could perform to my heart’s content. I got the bike slammed down into some incredibly tight turns, did the S-bend waltz and only managed to fall off when I slammed the bars to full lock at 30mph as an alternative to an encounter with a wall of concrete. I kept my legs inside and let the bike bounce on the plastic. The back of the canopy consists of a pair of strong steel tubes which look like they’d survive rolling the machine down a hill.

Thrashed flat out along main roads the whole bike shimmies along as if there are a few loose joints, a querulous feel that didn’t turn nasty even when subjected to a bout of bumps. Side on, the screen and roof have a minimal aspect whilst the front and rear end have an equal weight of plastic - the bike didn’t seem to mind side winds or the turbulence created by other vehicles. The stability afforded by three wheels obviously helps its cause. Once I became used to the lack of speed I found the Honda a really relaxed and a comfortable ride over a couple of hundred miles. Strange but true.

Obviously it wouldn’t work on motorways without a bigger power plant (say 125cc) but that apart it’s a rather splendid bike as interesting to experienced riders as it is easy on novices. With either a huge top box or large platform out back: it’s more practical than anything else on offer - UK despatchers would surely give an arm and a leg for one in the winter and I’m hoping to bring mine back with me when I come home. That impressive!

For those who throw up at the thought of three wheels, Honda have also created an even more stylish two wheel version with a similar screen and roof. The CS301 doesn't tilt to turn, has the motor in the middle of the chassis and more conventional suspension, albeit with the same tiny wheels that may be potentially lethal in winter - I haven't tried one yet so will reserve judgement. Both models, given congested city centres and our dubious weather, would sell very well with cagers. Honda have reinvented the motorcycle but aren't telling anyone. Well weird!

Mike Prescotte