Saturday 28 March 2020

Learnin'


The better half got a job which involved her moving to Galway. I had just started four years of study in Cork. Commuting distance was suddenly 280 miles round trip! I looked into the ins and outs of public transport, decided that in order to preserve my sanity, I needed my own wheels. I was 24 and thought a bike would be just the job. I was told that insurance and running costs were bearable and, for me, having my own machine would mean freedom.

Little did I know the pitfalls that lay waiting for me. I went to apply for a licence, with absolutely no idea what the score was, to discover that I had to put down either two years with a restricted licence or be 25 before I could be unleashed on anything bigger than a noise generator... or something like that. Confused, but being completely green in relation to biking I didn’t worry too much about it. Got my provisional licence and off I went to my friendly local dealer.

‘What do you want it for,’ he asked. When he heard my reply he did a good impression of an engine explosion. Galway on a learner legal bike? I was beginning to get a bit worried. Eventually, decided on a 1992 Yamaha RXS100, as it suited my pocket and was in very good nick.

The following months (September and October) were ones I'd rather forget. Going anywhere on a bike in the UK and Ireland with winter approaching requires a certain state of mind, but to travel 280 miles in a weekend on a 100cc two stroke with no weather protection needs something more akin to plain madness!
 

I developed an unnatural hatred of cagers who seemed to get some demonic pleasure from trying to either drown me or blow me off the road. Still, the RXS never let me down. It was quite happy to trundle along in all sorts of weather (most of it very wet and windy). In the wet, handling got a little stodgy but never unstable.

The only problem I had with the RXS was the fact that the previous owner had mangled the exhaust trying to make the bike sound like a drag racer from hell. I never got around to fixing it. I still have squirming fits when I think of all the heads turned by that noise. By November, however, the two stroke vibration and miserable 6V electrics - a positively crap headlight and no indicators - had become too much and I went back to the dealer.


All credit to him, I got my money back on the RXS (I had put a lot of work into it, mind). The result of our wheeling and dealing was a four stroke 125cc bike with decent 12V electrics. I proudly strutted myself around Cork for a week on a GN125 (1995 with 8k on the clock) feeling like a king. Now this was biking - smooth, quiet and, what a bonus, I could see where I was going in the dark. Hey, this was cool.

I was apprehensive about heading to Galway, though. Would the bike let me down? By the end of November the weather was conspiring against me - strong northerly winds every Friday (guess who was going north...) and even stronger southerly winds every Sunday as I tried to make it back to Cork. I became very interested in the weather forecasts over the winter.

Anyway, the particular Friday arrived and off I went under a menacing sky. I made it 20 miles. By then the driving rain had soaked me through, even though I had proper waterproofs, and I was thoroughly shagged. My best speed was about 35 to 40mph that afternoon. Is there anything worse than the throttle fully open and watching the world (all of it) go by?

There followed the odd successful trip to Galway over the next couple of months but mostly I conceded to public transport I’m still not sure which was worse. With the arrival of spring, I took to riding full time again and have been up and down every weekend since late February.

The GN is pushed to the limit, and beyond, but seems equal to the challenge. I had several minor problems including a knackered chain, knocking steering head bearings, a flat tyre and a blown headlamp. Not bad, having done over 7000 miles in-four months.

In late March the bike developed an horrible vibration down the right-hand side, particularly around the footpeg. I struggled on with it for almost two months with several attempts to try to cure the problem. The chain was replaced, the suspension played with, the engine bolts and mountings checked, etc. Without success. I finally decided that it was there to stay and tried to ignore it. After all, I was asking an awful lot of a small bike.

When the brake pads and rear tyre began to wear out, I decided to take it in for a proper service. I mentioned the vibration, not expecting anything to come of it, but the service guy immediately said it was probably a loose camchain - a 20 second job to adjust it and I’d been putting up with it for months! A service later and the bike was riding like never before. Solid, virtually vibration-less and, with the new brakes and a rear tyre, better than every before.

Considering what I’m asking of the GN, the bike’s performing above and beyond the call of duty. Oil changes at 1000 miles (although the manual recommends twice that distance) are a necessity, otherwise the engine will wreck the camshaft. Tighten the camchain when the oil’s done - long journeys mean adjustments need to be done more often. The other vital maintenance job’s adjustment of the valve clearances, the engine’s other weak point.

Fighting the climate’s a losing battle, though. A full polish every week is just about keeping the rust at bay, especially around the exhaust and headlamp. The bike’s handling is very dependent on tyre pressures, even a small drop makes the handling rather hairy. Especially true with the front wheel.

All in all, anyone who has to travel long distances on a learner legal bike can do so, the GN125 as good as any other. The one serious consideration has to be the seat height - I’m 6’3” tall and find the GN’s seat too low. I find myself sitting where the pillion should be.

Don't try to attempt a long journey in heavy rain or strong winds, unless they’re behind you! Basically, it's hell during the winter and just plain frustrating the rest of the time. I don’t recommend it but you'll probably survive provided you've patience, an excess of high visibility clothes and pull over to let the cagers go buy. Oh - buy a set of panniers.

As for me, well I’ve learnt just how daft some of the rules and regulations for bikes are. Learner legal is NOT safe for someone like me who has to travel long distances. Neither is the view of most insurance companies. Just because a bike has a big engine doesn’t mean it’s unsafe. There’s a lot of difference between a 1100cc tourer and an 1100cc race replica (or maybe the difference is in the riders). Either way, deciding insurance just on the basis of engine size is purely moronic (we have some catching up to do with England, there!).

Anyway, herself has hopefully got a transfer by the time you read this. When my restriction’s lifted it's a 600 Bandit for me and a tour of Europe, two up. You never know, I may just go to Galway to see what it’s like on a real bike.

Cormac Gebruers