Friday 20 March 2020

Honda XRV750


The wheelie seemed to last forever. The 742cc V-twin engine screaming away as I punched it way beyond the peak power point of 7500 revs in second gear. I fought for third, the churning box causing me to curse as the cog proved elusive and the front end slammed down on to the tarmac. Nearly snapped my wrists off. I skidded to a halt, the owner catching up with me on my own CG125...

The vendor had eyes out on stalks and muscles that twitched like a Doberman about to pounce. Apparently, he’d never had the African Twin up on one wheel and viewed my brutal behaviour with outrage, going ballistic when I told him I was checking out the engine and there was obviously something wrong with the gearbox. I finally placated him by saying I'd take it if he’d give me £750 for the CG in part-ex. He’d wanted three grand for the 19000 mile, only ridden in the dry, machine.

The engine's based on the good old bullet-proof VT500, but you'd never guess that by looking at the thing, most of the bike hidden under the bulbous tank/fairing. An ugly brute that intimidates by its excess bulk rather than any flowing lines. It was no lighter than it looked - 450lbs. And doubtless a bloody pig to take off-road or race across deserts, not that I had any intention of that kind of madness. lt was cross London sorties for me, commuting with some kind of panache and style, with the odd high speed blast to get the blood flowing.

The Honda sports a 34 inch seat height, fun for seeing over the tops of cars but a bit precarious for tight, slow speed work. True, the soft suspension took up a little of that height but it still seemed like I was closer to the clouds than the ground - an impression that faded away over the coming weeks. After the CG, which had been ruined by potholes, the Afro felt like a luxury limousine, floated like a butterfly over the wrecked road surfaces. I was soon having loads of fun, which is what it’s all about, innit?
 

I was disappointed, though, with the 35mpg even when ridden mildly. The engine design’s pretty stupid in some areas - it only makes 60 horses, cries out for a single carb between the narrow angle of the V-twin (some trickery with the crank’s throw means it only really vibrates when something’s worn out)... the Africa Twin comes with two bloody huge 36mm carbs, though at least they stayed in balance for 5000 miles.

With a four gallon tank, range wasn't a total disaster, around 135 miles before I became desperate for some more fuel. But I wasn't that happy with the riding position, nor the compliance of the saddle - sag meant I often ended up being lacerated by the edges of its base. 100 miles was alright in one sitting but twice that left me well knackered.

Not helped along by the high speed shenanigans. Above 90mph the soft suspension allowed enough weaving to make me think of a drunken sailor on a ship blasted by a Force Nine gale. A real wrestling match with the wide bars and the buffeting from the screen. As much as 120mph was possible with a following wind but usually it gave up the ghost once the ton was achieved.

Around town, though, it was a joy... until one of the spark plugs oiled up and turned it into a recalcitrant thumper. I pulled over before I fell off. Aaarghh! It was only then that I realised how difficult it was to change a spark plug! Right, start her up again and rev it to 9000 to see if it'd clear up. It worked! The next weekend I let the local dealer do a service and fit new plugs - the old ones looked like they’d been there since new.
 

A short holiday in the Cotswolds revealed that the bike had as much torque as an elephant, would happily crunch up hills at 4000 revs in fifth gear, even two up with loads of junk strapped down on the machine... the run of the exhaust means it’s easy to melt throw-overs. I found that out when the girlfriend's sexy undies were sent flowing away behind the machine when one of the throw-overs was holed. I turned round to pick up what we could, much to the amusement of a pack of animals in a VW GTi.

Coming home, the weather turned chilly and a hazy fog descended. Thank God for the most excellent twin headlamps that cut a swathe through the smog. It was like all the surrounding fields were burning up. The Honda doesn't have a very wide fairing for hand protection but comes with hand guards that kept most of the driven rain and cold off my gloved mitts. That was little compensation for the twirling water that came off the screen right into my collar at the enforced slow pace of 35 to 45mph. I was in a nasty mood by the time home was reached.

Some momentous moments came from the back brake in wet conditions. Loved to lock up, make the wheel step out wildly until I released the pressure. I could get into some extravagant emergency stops just using the back brake and smoking the tyre. The front twin discs were also powerful but had much better feedback, perhaps helped along by the size of the front hoop - 21 inches. Pads wore very slowly and never had to be replaced.

After a winter of abuse, the Afro was looking a bit tired but still ran as well as ever. A minor shunt in March collapsed the front wheel. I couldn't believe it, as the impact barely moved me in the seat. The rescue service had to get me out of that one as the wheel wouldn't turn.

These bikes are rare in breakers, because of their new prices very few were sold over the years and because the motors so tough owners keep them on the road for very high mileages - I talked to someone who still had an early one running strongly with 92000 miles on the clock. I ended up having the rim rebuilt for £70.

Stability then did a runner, like the steering head bearings were shot with the bars hammering from stop to stop every time I tried to go above 35mpnh. I thought I was about to meet my maker. The rim was half an inch out of true! The guy who rebuilt the wheel accused me of riding up a pavement or something but set it up properly. The handling was never as good as before but the feeling of imminent disaster was removed.

I was rather upset when the rear wheel buckled after hitting a huge pothole, some weeks later. I got someone else to rebuild that one and took the opportunity to clean up the rear caliper, replace the swinging arm bearings and grease the rear suspension. It didn’t make any difference to the handling but it made me feel virtuous.
 

In a year I did 17000 miles, with just one chain and sprocket set going west   the lack of consumable costs almost compensating for the vicious fuel consumption. Other Afro owners have told me they get 50mpg but I don’t see how, unless they ride like old men who just want to pose.
 

Africa Twins are excellent pose tools, supreme high speed commuters and generally useful for most other things. They aren’t the most practical devices in the whole world but some way ahead of the race replicas for mixed riding. I sold mine for three grand, so lost no money on the deal, which pleased me no end. Try one out if you get the chance.
 

Alan Jones