Thursday 21 January 2021

Honda VF400

Having not ridden a bike for 25 years, I was aware that there had been great changes in power outputs compared to the Triumph 6Ts that I had owned back in the late 50s, for the sake of upsetting those purists who have blind faith in the breed, I probably would not have noticed it had I gone for another Triumph. My reason for coming back to bikes was that I had decided travelling on the same train day in and out for over two decades watching young men grow gradually older, the young women usually became pregnant and disappeared, was almost the most boring way to spend an hour and a half for the rest of my working life.

I eventually chose a VF400 for no other reason than it was a beautiful looking bike, plus the write up in a monthly magazine confirmed it as a lovely little middleweight. Initially, it was my intention to buy second hand, our local dealer had one for a couple of months, but when I walked in full of enthusiasm I was told they had sold it the night before. I eventually went into Honda's regional dealer who is able to discount everything (except the cost of a service), saw what is now B50XYY; love at first sight.

I won't bore you with the potential financial and insurance rip-offs, suffice to say I arranged both myself, saving about 40% on insurance and enough to pay for boots, helmets, leathers, gloves, etc with reduced interest rates. Being cautious by nature, there was no way I was taking the VF on the road without some training. I first swung my leg over the bike in a school playground, courtesy of Star Riders. When young learners enquired why, I explained it would not be fair to those who use the roads or myself not to.

I think the dealer put at least a pint of petrol in to see me on my way, first stop after the course was the biker's favourite garage on Chelsea Bridge; there ensued a battle to put the machine on the centre stand, I gave up and used the side one. Riding the Honda was not like my Volvo, traffic did not give me the same kind of room as I had been accustomed. What sort of life was the Honda going to have? Basically, a commuter - 73 miles from South-West London to the City and back, 15 miles a day.

The first strange experience was the gearbox, an area where Honda excel in creating false neutrals, which led to my first encounter with the tarmac. Perfect balance* is not my strong point and starting off, believing the bike to be in gear, the lack of momentum caused us to land somewhat unceremoniously on the deck with the VF on top of me - anything to stop it getting scratched.

The next problem was that I could never tell which gear was engaged. Despite frantic stamping on the gear lever, it often led to not enjoyable habit of standing starts with lots of clutch slip and high revs. Telling the dealer that there must be something wrong, I was informed that all it needed was a good heavy boot.

By then, I was convinced that I had done the wrong thing, BR forgive me, would honourable Honda dealer buy it back, sure for about £900 less than I had paid for it not many weeks before. I decide to soldier on. By the time I'd done enough miles for the first and only free service, I was not happy, but it was different The gearbox is still dodgy, I explained. Ah well, it will take time to loosen up, they build them to such tight tolerances, they replied. That's alright, then, the Triumph was never like this.

Not having a garage at home, the obvious place to park was on the front path - with all these bike thefts, no way. The VF would just go through the front door, provided you moved the mirrors. A plastic runner provided protection for the carpet. In this environment it was easy to give the necessary loving care - polish and yards of soft cloth.

As my daily journey consisted of town roads, there was not a real opportunity to see what it will do in top, but as one will with most vehicles, especially this hot little number, the traffic light Grand Prix offered the chance of extending it in the lower gears. 12000rpm in first and second had the VF rocketing along, this somewhat uncivilised behaviour gave one an occasional lets see how the brakes work impulse, when the lights suddenly go red.

I sprayed the chain every week and kept polishing up the paintwork and engine. The 3000 mile service was conducted by the same ace mechanic and all was going well. Before the 6000 mile service I had a brake check and general inspection for £7.
The OE rear Dunlop looked a bit tatty, and in any case didn't support the superbike image. A very charming tyre dealer agreed I needed a new rear and offered that I might as well have a matching front. OK, it cost a hundred notes, the fitting was free but the way the Metzelers grip, it was worth every penny or rather pound.

I am convinced that the daily rubbing of the Buddha's stomach that sits on the mantlepiece, by the way, has something to do with the reliability of the VF. It does not use oil, water or battery acid. Petrol averages out around 50mpg, which considering the traffic light standing starts is quite acceptable. The pads were half worn at the 5000 mile tyre change. And I've used five cans of chain oil.

None of the other VF riders I've spoken to report any problems. One Chelsea Bridger claims top speed in favourable conditions in excess. of 120mph. Exhausts seem to last about 20000 miles or four years. Optimum cruising speed is about eighty with eight grand on the rev counter. No-one's complained about the handling but they all seem to suffer from the same difficult Honda gearbox. Paintwork and electrics have given no problems.

The only potential problem comes from owner servicing of the sixteen valve, water-cooled, DOHC, V-four. The bike has a 3000 mile service interval, which local Honda dealers estimate at £40, half what I used to pay at the regional dealer.

This report may be somewhat untypical as apart from the 15 to 20 miles ride back and forth to work each day, the bike sits snugly in a heated car park or under cover in or outside the front door. And the bike gets a lot of loving care. 4 Yes, I would buy another VF if Honda had not stopped production, though not necessarily from the same regional dealer. It would appear the obvious reason it has been discontinued is due to the unusual reliability.

Ted Lay