Saturday 16 January 2021

Kawasaki Z250C

As a born again biker I thought it would be better to find a bike that's the nearest to the one I learned to ride on thirty odd years ago. After trying a little Honda C70, I finally found a bike that really matched my old Beeza 250 C11. That bike is the Kawasaki Z250C. It even sounds like the old bike, or is that wishful thinking? It's a SOHC single of fairly simple design, it may not be as smooth or as quick as a twin but it has been both reliable and predictable.

The Kawa has its faults. For one thing, in mild weather it's difficult to find the right choke setting to start from cold. It also needs choke to start if left for any length of time, even if you think it should, still be hot from running. The engine does warm up very quickly and the choke is opened after 300 yards, even on the coldest of days.

After 2000 miles the engine performance suddenly disappeared. The engine started easily and ran well up to 5000 rpm, but after that nothing, not even going down hill. A new spark plug made no difference, cleaning the float bowl helped a little and starting to dismantle the carb revealed a split diaphragm. Because the diaphragm can't be bought separately from the piston, it cost £44 to replace! But this did return the engine's performance.
My bike has one other fault, it eats the flasher box and I can't find out why. A flasher unit only lasts for a few weeks.

Though not one of the fastest 250s, the Kawa can still manage to cover the ground in a respectable manner. I often travel the 100 miles from my home to Newcastle-Under-Lyne in about two hours, without the smell of a motorway or dual carriageway. The bike isn't too heavy for my old bones to heave around, which is a good job as I cover between 150 and 350 miles per week. I remember scraping the footrests on the BSA but I've failed to do that on the Z250 in 8000 plus miles. The Kawa isn't perfect, as the back end gets a bit loose on bumpy bends above 50mph, especially on worn tyres.


I've never managed better than 78mph in top gear, but I do weigh a portly 13 stone... not that carrying two heavies made much difference, except for a skyward pointing headlamp. I've found that the happiest pace for the Kawa is 60mph at 6000rpm; the engine, suspension and handling appear tuned for that speed. As most of my riding is carried out on B roads, I don't miss the faster pace of a larger bike.


Fuel economy is rather good. Stay below 5000rpm and it'll do better than 100mpg, run -along above 6000rpm and it drops to a still reasonable 85mpg. Even two up the drum brakes have enough power. It's easy to lock the wheels if you are heavy handed. Panic stops from 30mph bring the bike to a stop within 40 feet. I have still to replace the brake linings and, in fact, have only adjusted them once in 8000 miles. I did have to replace a seized front brake cable (£9.80). The chain does need close attention - adjustment every 200 miles and lasts only 6000 miles even if you lubricate it every week.

I found it very difficult to find the correct size rear tyre, and, threatened by the gnomes in blue, had to spend £58 on a V-rated that was really too large. I made up for that by buying a H rated front for only £14. The rear lasts 10000 miles, the front 18000 miles. Last winter I fitted a handlebar fairing from John Morgan, this kept me nice and dry and only increased fuel economy by about 2%

To sum up, I find my 1981 Z250C very reliable, economical and cheap to run. It's simple to maintain and quite good fun to ride out on the country lanes. I replaced my Beeza with a Speed Twin, wonder which bike I'll buy to replace the Kawa?

Keith Jones