Sunday 17 January 2021

MZ TS250

The way I came to acquire my MZ TS250 Supa Five was perhaps slightly unusual. I suppose in the end I bought it for all the usual reasons, anyone reading MCN in 1984 felt almost duty bound to try an MZ (I don't know how I can make it into the first FF-MZ though). The other good reasons for buying it were the small amount of money available, the need for some reliable transport and the fact that someone got to the RS250 before me.

I suppose it all began on Xmas eve 1985 (a damp and foggy evening in Sheffield). I left my lab (curiouser and curiouser - Ed) at about 7pm, glad to escape after a hard day, went to where my DT175MX was parked - and it wasn't. My first reaction was that some silly drunken sod (otherwise known as a colleague) had hidden my bike as a final Christmas trick.


After searching for about ten minutes in all the potential hiding places, the terrible truth dawned - someone had helped themselves to an early Xmas present. Needless to say, Christmas 1985 was not one of my high points. What made matters worse was that the engine had just been rebuilt - mew mains, small ends, crank, rebore, etc (engine life ridden carefully, 19000 miles). The DT also had new tyres (front 8000, rear 5000 miles) and a metal sprayed Fresco exhaust. There were lots of other non standard bits, but an early lesson following the theft was that Norwich Union does not count non standard additions in the valuation. A slightly later lesson was that the engine rebuild also didn't change the value.

As 1985 turned into 1986, after driving around all the likely places to find a dumped DT, I was finally forced to resign myself to the fact that it had probably gone forever and that I would need to look for a new machine. I had been in constant contact with the dealer from whom I bought the DT - Rainbow Motorcycles of Sheffield, a used dealer with whom I've had most satisfactory dealings, both for bikes, spares and repairs for the last five years. They had two suitable bikes a Honda RS250 (10000 miles and £325) and the MZ (5000 miles and £275).

I started to pressurize the NU who, after various silly offers, offered top book price, no allowances for extras, less £50 excess. I returned to Rainbow with my money to find the RS had been sold. I was not upset about this, as I had ridden one before and was disappointed by its lack of bottom end power.

On riding the MZ I found that it really did have the sort of power spread that I liked and would pull well from 2500rpm. I also liked the look of the engine, lovely sand cast alloy which needed no lacquer to shine and had functional lines. This is probably the best looking MZ engine ever made (you've just given my postman a hernia - Ed). I did not like the looks of the rest of the bike, it was certainly no good for posing (although I have since found that MZ posing is alive and well). It was functional and everything worked well, except that the footrests were too far forward for my shape (small and fat with short legs) and the wrong side kickstart was, and still is, annoying.


I was, overall, impressed with my extended trial run and decided to buy it and shun the scorn of my colleagues and friends (particularly those who are married to Honda 750 fours). The first few months were, to be honest, full of mixed feelings. The scorn I could live with, riding the bike I really enjoyed, especially the low revving 60-70mph cruising, and the acceleration which was good enough to leave most young executives in their company cars shocked at being beaten by a twin wheel Skoda, except for one morning when I was sapped by a Capri, but peering at it rapidly disappearing back revealed that it was a 2.8i.


Certain expected problem areas have caused no problems. Having to mix oil with petrol is quite good fun. It's taken me about eight months to be able to start it easily from cold (one kick full choke - if it doesn't start open choke, open throttle kick and it starts!). The finish is pretty good; only the chrome on the exhaust pipe is going. The bike has been remarkably reliable, the only problem being a slight oil leak from the gear pedal shaft. This has not been cured by two new O-rings and has now been accepted as a fact of life. Actually, the leak is useful - if it stops the oil needs topping up. One worrying period, when I thought the mains were on the way out, was caused by a low gearbox oil level, now topped up and no problems for the last 5000 miles.

Rear tyres wear out quite rapidly, probably caused by the 16" wheel and because of this, tyre choice is limited. They last on average about 8000 miles. The front tyre was changed from the original when I bought the bike, as I had heard Pneumant horror stories, and the new tyre has now done 11000 miles and is still in good shape. The front brake is not as effective as it could be and should be relined with better materials. The rear is fierce but effective if treated with care. The linings on both are good for a lot more miles.


The headlamp bulb blackens every 5000 miles, but is otherwise good. I did have a starting problem with a flat battery, when it wouldn't start even in the emergency position. This took me back to my BSA C15 days, a most unhappy experience, which is probably why I have never owned a four stroke. However, after charging the battery it started first kick and has given no trouble since. All in all, over the last year, I have covered just over 10000 miles, practically devoid of trouble and certainly my bike has been reliable in all weathers. This mileage has been with daily commuting and pleasure trips.

I have joined the MZ Riders' Club which publishes the best club magazine I have ever read. Certainly as an MZ posing machine my red TS is excellent. MZ posing is a strange and complex form of inverted snobbery, involving at various times, wellies with red patches, high mileages in sub zero temperatures, "Owd Rodger" (help! - Ed) and similar masochistic activities.

The MZ has certainly confirmed my feelings that a low revving two stroke single is the ideal economy motorcycle. This love has extended, with some breaks, for 25 years, starting with a two stroke single Vincent with a rear tyre life of 100 miles (work that one out), going through the usual Bantam and Villiers bikes, followed by Jap trail bikes and ending with the MZ, which should last me for the next 25 years.

There is, however, one cloud on the horizon, the new racing formula using MZ 250s. I just hope that this doesn't lead to an LC situation, with high cost used spares and bikes being lifted off the streets. After all, the main appeal was that no-one every steals one of those MZ things.


P Nuttall