Monday 18 January 2021

Suzuki GS550

Why don't you get yourself a little car? If there's one question that's guaranteed to get you going, that's it. However, as the company maintenance manager is doing the asking, and I have a GS550 swinging arm clamped into one of his vices, I refrain from crushing him with my devastating wit, and continue to drift out the bearings.

Using the technical knowledge of aforementioned department, I have learned that to drift means to belt out with a large hammer and an iron bar. I give the manager a cigarette, and point out the bearing, with needles protruding, hedgehog like, around the edge. I ask, do you think they will be OK if I repack them -with grease? He sighs and produces some callipers. A quick phone call and one set of bearings are on their way. One of the problems that result from my less than critical attitude applied to buying used bikes. Despite all the advice I read, when I actually see a second hand bike I like all sense of caution leaves me. So it was with the GS550.


The RS250 was just too small. I looked at quite a few bikes. The CX that had done 7000 dry miles in six years (like new they said) - by the sound of it dry miles-referred to the engine oil. The good condition CB750 I looked at might have fitted the bill, but due to all the brakes being seized on I shall never know. So when I saw the GS at £500 that was change, and with some air in the tyres the handling would improve. It did. Until the next day, then tyre pressure was back down to 10psi again. This was where it became interesting. No centre stand. I bought a used one for ten notes. A touch of bending, bracing and welding and it fits around the exhaust system. Up until then the biggest bike Id owned was a 250, so summoning up reserves of inner strength I prepare for the Rambo like challenge of heaving the monster backwards. It rolls onto the stand so easily I am taken by surprise, and fall over the stack of paint tins behind me.


I begin to take the rear wheel out. The chain's shot, so are the sprockets. I thought it would adjust up. Never mind, new chain and sprockets; expendable items after all. The Allen screws were all chewed up on the clutch cover. The stud extractor breaks. I try the swinging arm. It swings. In every direction. The top of the shocks look interesting. The metal bush has worn away. I turn the wheel. The back brake's seized on.


Remove disc brake cover. My god. A wave of panic sweeps over me. I go indoors to watch Eastenders. ‘Bike OK, dear?' 'Fine - I'll get some Gunk tomorrow.' Three weeks later the assembly of polished, painted and refurbished bits is almost complete. I apply the long Suzuki sticker to the highly polished fork leg. Bit of masking, and on with the clear lacquer. The sticker shrinks to two inches in length.


I press the starter, consoling myself with the thought of all that fresh 10W40 circulating and cosseting the internals - a true mechanical symphony, with just a touch of Black Sabbath thrown in when I ease the choke back. Still, the thinner oil has cured the sticking clutch. Once past tickover it's almost healthy. I ease off up the road with an ever increasing manic grin as it continues in a straight line. It's snowing of course, but then it is March.


Only problem seems to be changing up, being an eternal optimist once things start going right, I put it down to play in the gear linkage. Fifty, sixty, seventy, that's-all for today. Back to the warm garage for a clean and to check my nuts aren't coming loose. Now while I can appreciate the view of this magazine: that it is possible to pick up a hack for a couple of hundred quid, and get plenty of enjoyment, a great deal of the pleasure of motorcycling for me is in the possession of something that pleases the eye, and possess a modicum of mechanical integrity. My problem is that I have champagne tastes and a beer income.


My local dealer has a Z650 for sale. Rebuilt, rewired, mono-shocked, and Dream Machine paint. I'd dearly love to do the business on the Suzuki, but for the moment it's running OK, and since I've had it has cost me £60, a lot of work, and a change of underwear from the” ride home. It'll have to do until next winter. As far as riding is concerned, so far the magazine comments are true. The standard bike is stable, fairly quick, always seems to want another gear and has a nice digital gear indicator that looks great at night.


Right now, in March, I'm looking forward to the first greenfly that splatters my visor and some sunshine.


A P Saxby



*************************************************************************



So there I was with my second GS550 in five years, drawn back not least because of its striking Katana styling, but also because of its price and durability. My first GS was bought decidedly second-hand for £1000 from a local dealer back in '79. It was only one year and 6000 miles old. While the engine was fine the cycle parts had suffered after a year out in the elements and needed a little tidying.


With such low mileage I was surprised to note that both tyres and the chain were worn out. These items were replaced as part of the deal, but I was later to find that the chain and rear tyre worn out at six grand. Luckily, front tyre wear compensated somewhat, usually lasting 12000 miles, depending on how you use the terrific front brake.


The Katana, however, showed slightly more wear to begin with - the original rear tyre lasting only 3000 miles. The Metzeler replacement lasted a further 7000 miles, by which time the front was still hanging in there. Chain wear was greatly reduced on the Kat, thanks to the O-ring type chain fitted. After 10000 miles it was still in good condition and will probably go for 15-20000 miles.


Another area of improvement on the Kat is the front headlamp. The early GS came with an abysmal 45W bulb and I was frightened to travel at over 40mph on unlit roads. One Easter, coming back from Brands, I'd refused to keep up with some friends - each following the tail lights of the vehicle in front. My wimpiness however saved my ass, because a bike cop managed to book a couple of them. My grin was brighter than my headlamp as I whistled by. No such hassles with the Kat, the halogen is a vast improvement, allowing almost illegal speeds after dark. Owners of earlier bikes will be relieved to learn that they can fit a sealed beam from a Mini, available from Halfords.


Performance has improved, although the only differences are CV carbs and electronic ignition. The Kat feels much zippier and can hit 110mph easily (leathers on), whereas my first GS never did better than l05mph. One sunny day on the Kat I saw 118mph on the clock. Of course, any modern machine of 400cc and above will leave the Kat for dead, but in its heyday of the late seventies the GS was pretty much the middleweight to have. Admittedly it weighs a bit at 460lbs and doesn't have the acceleration of its bigger brothers, but it is quick enough for most people most of the time.

Another endearing feature of the Kat is the ability to drop down to 20mph and accelerate, albeit slowly, up to 90mph or so. I once rode all the way from Southsea to Southampton (about 25 miles) with my wife on the pillion, using only top gear. Definitely more flexible than an Access card.

I can testify to the strength of the engine. On the day I traded my GS in, I took her up to 45mph in first - around 11000rpm. Nothing touched. Of course, all this reliability and durability has its price, namely regular oil changes. I found every 1000 miles to be the optimum. Longer periods regular servicing I carried out was adjustment of the chain and points. As the Kat has electronic ignition and an O-ring chain all I had to do was change the oil. Neither machine ever required valve adjustment, or rather they sounded OK so I left them alone.

Fuel consumption was around 50mpg for the E and 60mpg for the Kat. It doesn't really matter how you ride them, they still return the same. The better economy of the Kat is probably due to the adoption of CV carbs and electronic ignition. Comfort and handling are good points of both bikes. The Kat has a more comfortable riding position, particularly at speed, but also has harder suspension. I can recall being thrown right out of the saddle over bad roads on a couple of occasions. For the pillion the Kat is diabolical, no room and stuck in the airstream, whereas the E has an excellent Pillion seat.

Seat height is tall on the Kat, which means it's difficult to paddle around, with the ever present danger of going over. This normally happens when there are loads of people around, i.e. in gravelly car parks. The five gallon fuel tank makes it feel all the more of a mammoth.

All in all, a GS550 is a useful tool. No jet but very undemanding to ride and own. Definitely one of the best UJMs around, and guaranteed to last, so if you've got £500 or so to spend why not invest in an ever so sweet Suzi.


Russ Jackson