Thursday 21 January 2021

Meriden Triumph T140V

I'd seen a photograph of one, purple and white. My friends advised against purchase but I had fallen in love and as everyone who owns a motorcycle knows, being rational was just not on. Early in 1976 I came home on my CD175 and found it sitting outside my house. A left foot gear change, Co-Op T140V. I pushed it into the garage, polished it, checked the oil and was about an hour late getting back to work. It snowed that night, so I guess everyone knows how I felt.

7.30 on a January Sunday morning. Now, think carefully, free off the clutch, tickle the carbs, ignition on and then the kickstart - it started first kick. Elation. The first decent road and I'm doing 50mph at 3000rpm (according to the French made speedo and rev counter) and despite what I'd been told about the vibes it was quite smooth, not up to turbine standards, but not as bad as expected. My left foot ached from the very stiff gear change and the brakes felt wooden - and I'd been used to a CD175!


Believe it or not, on the advice of a Commando owner (I believe it - Ed) I never exceeded 3000rpm for the first 6000 miles. When I wanted to go faster than 50mph I used my 25000 mile CD175. And yes, I am slightly eccentric. And up to 6000 miles there were no problems. It never used or leaked a drop of oil and gave 55mpg. Just after six grand the rear wheel bearings collapsed. I was shocked and disgusted to find that in 1976 the ball races had no protection from the elements and not even a hint of grease. Being a diesel fitter I obtained from the stores some sealed bearings which fitted perfectly and cost nothing.

A 2000 mile trek around Europe with no spares on board (except for spare clutch cable and plugs) resulted in the bike requiring nothing more than a pint of oil. After one week back in the UK, I noticed a rattle (stop laughing it was the first one, honest) and noticed that the back mudguard was trying to part company from the bike. This was caused by the back of the frame snapping off... the dealer didn't want to know and a phone call. to Meriden resulted in the same reply.

The frame was plugged and welded. At 10000 miles both the front and rear bearings collapse. New bearings from work are fitted. I've still not been over 60mph for any length of time. I've tried but the engine takes on the characteristics of a pneumatic drill, at 70mph the vibes are so bad that I see double and the lens fell out of my goggles. To say I'm pissed off with the bike is an understatement.

Life with the Triumph was not what I'd hoped for. I mean you don't buy a 750 to cruise at 50-60mph, do you? I was beginning to think I should have bought another CD175. The bike used five sets of rear bearings, 3 sets of front bearings, three sets of points, ten sets of plugs, two rear tyres, two chains and a battery.

I set off for a tour of Scotland. Being wise to the Triumph I took wheel bearings, clutch cable, carb repair kit, points, plugs and Araldite... when I went to Europe innocent of the self destruct habits of the bike. I had tried on several occasions to see if the bike smoothed out at 80mph, but couldn't break through the vibration.


Towards the end of the tour there was a nasty noise from the left side of the engine and the motor cut out as my mate on,a KH500 stopped for a fag. Pretending that nothing was wrong I looked at the motor, no leaks or holes. Plenty of compression, oil level OK. In panic I kicked the engine over and it fired and sounded fine.

I arrived home from Scotland at eleven in the evening and unpacked the bike. Up at 7.30 the next day to clean it and by 9.30 I had part exchanged it for a Jap bike. I'd owned the Triumph for 2 years and 3 months, put 25000 miles on the clock, and was glad to see the back of it. No way was it value for money. I've still got the Jap bike, a T-reg CB550...

William Gould