Thursday 25 March 2021

Honda CM250

I have a confession to make. For reasons that seemed to make sense at the time - yes, I needed to transport all my worldly goods between various digs several times a year and being fed up with my Yammy 100 -  I ran a Reliant for several years. Eventually, in early 1983, I came to my senses and decided to replace it - the fact that it was falling apart about my ears had almost nothing to do with this.

Just before this, the DOT had decided the only way to keep learners from killing themselves was to restrict them to 125cc or under, so suddenly there were 250s all over the place, being knocked down at ridiculous prices as people tried to stay mobile. I eventually came up with an X-reg CM250T being sold locally that only had 4500miles on the clock and was in good nick.


I
have now ridden it for over four years, it’s got 45000 miles on the clock and it still looks quite good unless you start inspecting it closely. It also still runs alright, considering that maintenance has been minimal. I’m rather surprised having heard stories of Hondas that fall apart if they get wet or have more than 5000 miles on the clock.


Handling is quite good given that the high bars call for a very upright riding position, and even with knackered suspension at both ends it’s still possible to bottle out half way round a corner and not go straight through a hedge. Much better, of course, to just lay it down a bit more. This despite the mass which feels very close to my mate’s GS550. The chunky back wheel (5.00 x 16) only just fits between the forks and puts lots of rubber in contact with the road.


When I got it, both wheels had lethal and ought to be illegal Nip tyres. These were in very good condition, hardly any signs of wear and looked good for thousands of miles. I replaced them after the first journey, I never want another trip like that one. I’ve been using Avons since then, a front Roadrunner and rear SM Mk3. These don't last as well as the Jap ones but at least I’m still breathing.


The infamous Honda electrics were well in evidence on this bike - for a long time it used to stop in heavy rain as soon as the revs dropped. I had to keep the revs up around eight grand to keep it running, but this becomes a bit tricky if you have to stop in a hurry. Once it had stopped, it would either flatten the battery or tire my legs out before starting again. However, waiting 5 minutes and then hitting the button would have it running fine - but only for another mile or so. Eventually the rectifier packed in completely and once replaced with a cheapo component the problem didn’t reoccur for a couple of years.

I thought the same thing was happening last winter, but found the problem was tracking when I was fiddling with the spark plug whilst barrelling down a very wet road - the electrical shock convinced me that the caps were no good and replacing them solved everything. The only other reoccurring problem was the front disc, which gets full of shit and becomes harder and harder to operate until eventually the piston won't move at all. Leaving the bike parked on the road where it was sprayed by the grit sprayer every night probably didn’t exactly help matters.

I’ve been expecting trouble with the camchain tensioner for several months, that being the last time I adjusted it. Adjustment on the CM consists of the good old Honda method of slackening off the restraining nut and letting the good old Oriental magic do its work. When I last tried it nothing moved. Following the advice of my local shop I pushed the spring down with a screwdriver as far as it would go and then re-tightened the nut, which they said would do the trick for a while. 4000 miles later it's beginning to sound like loose change again; it will soon need a new camchain. 45000 miles is probably a good mileage for chain life, but I'd wish it’d gone at some other times as finances are somewhat desperate.

All in all, the bike’s getting a little tacky now - little things keep going wrong. Like the start button dropping out on my way to work recently, so I'm bump starting it - luckily I live on a hill (actually, if you live in Bath it’s difficult not to live on a hill). The indicator bleepers stopped working years ago, thank god, and the side panels are held on with wire as the little plastic lugs broke off. Some toe-rag stole the one panel as well as the tool kit and both mirrors. I’ve replaced the panel and mirrors with stuff from a breaker - but it isn’t easy to find CM items as there aren't many around.


I was first pointed in the direction of the breakers when I was stopped by one of the traffic lads on a BMW who found that I’d filtered down the offside of the traffic at a speed much greater than he thought safe. After discussing my current life expectancy he pointed out that I'd have seen him coming if I had mirrors. I informed him that someone ripped them off and I hadn't had time to buy some new ones. After suggesting that I buy some mirrors, he let me off the other offences with a warning - such suggestions which, of course, I intend to follow.


I've enjoyed riding the CM, it has has a good feel to it, corners well and moves quickly enough for me most of the time. I tend to do mainly local trips for most of the time, but often do 90 mile jaunts down the Wye valley those winding border roads seem made for bikes and I get hyped up on adrenalin before I’m finished.

It’s amazing how often people think the bike’s a 400, must be the back wheel and large tank, although lots of 400 spares do fit. With the upright riding position and ageing engine I don’t try to cruise at over sixty now, max top speed l've seen has been an indicated 95mph, which is also the point at which an interesting weave starts. Fuel consumption runs at 60mpg around town and about 70 on long runs; it used to do about 10mpg better. The fact that it no longer has stock exhausts might have something to do with it, but who can afford those crazy prices? I'm looking out for a GS550 to replace the Honda, but the CM's a nice bike if you can find one in good condition


Tony Pratt