Monday 29 March 2021

Kawasaki Z650

I have always wanted to write a road test, a real road test, not a five minute thrash round the block padded out with blatant plagiarism from the press hand out, but a long term owner's eye view of an interesting bike. Being totally unconnected with the motorcycle trade my choice of model has naturally been restricted to machines that I've owned, but in seven years I've only owned four bikes and one of these was a second bike that spent eleven out of twelve months in the garage. In fairness to Mr Honda I won't mention the model cos it wasn't really his fault.

What of the other three? The 125 died prematurely, a mere baby of a few thousand miles, when its internals succumbed to the pressure forced on them by an over enthusiastic right wrist - but, anyway, I did think it was a bit slow. Then there was the CJ360, well who writes about 360's? Come to think of it, how many people do you know that will actually own up to having ridden let alone owned one? That only leaves the my last steed, a nine year old, 80000 mile, owned from new, Kawasaki Z650.

On the 24th April 1978 a twenty one year old local government officer wobbled nervously away from his friendly local dealer astride his latest acquisition, a brand new shining red Kawasaki Z650. It had set my bank manager back £1250. Was it a bargain? Well that money plus inflation will probably buy a flasher bike, like a GPz550, than the Z650 ever was, but at that time I was forced to buy the Kawa because the Suzuki dealer (I wanted a GS550) wouldn't take the CJ in part exchange. His loss not mine.

The first year of ownership was pure bliss (apart from the cost), the extra power of the 650 being used to transport self and assorted passengers to far flung corners of the empire (well, Scotland actually) and 3000 trouble free miles in ten days speaks for itself. Even petrol disappeared at the same rate as the 360. I was in heaven. Terra firma re-established itself in the form of an obese Barclaycard bill - within two months I'd run up over a hundred quid (this was 1978). Two full services and two tyres. Drastic action was called for, the bike hasn't seen a dealers showroom since then - it saves a fortune.

Summer gave way to winter, sun to rain, shine to rust. Riding a bike through the ravages of winter gives a fascinating, if expensive, insight into the quality of finish of the various bits and pieces that are collectively termed a motorcycle. Involuntarily, I tested the whole lot. First to fail were the bolt-ons - crash bars, racks, etc. Next to go were the engine cases, but as they had no lacquer they were salvageable through the years with liberal applications of Ali-Clean (but don't spill it as it burns holes in Levi's). But Z650 chrome has been surprisingly tough.

Soon after winter, with 12000 miles up, the handling deteriorated from bad to dreadful. I'm not really the world's greatest judge of good handling bikes, anyone who has owned a Honda 360 can't be, but I knew something was wrong. It used to weave even at the legal limit, fast sweepers were avoided like the plague. Fitting a new set of swinging arm bushes with the heaviest club hammer I could find improved the handling to indifferent. Changing the knackered shocks for Girlings improved the bike by about a million percent.

Unlike all other Girlings I've ever come across they managed a creditable 30000 miles, a record according to the local stockist, although one spring had lost most of its chrome within days of being removed from its box. The Girlings were replaced with a very cheap used pair of Konis, a mistake that could easily have killed me. They never were much good and a few thousand miles later proved it when a damping rod broke as I sped along the A47. I didn't notice until the passenger handed me the spring!


The world's first mono-shock Z650 limped into Wisbech where my wallet was prised open for more notes that I care to recall for a pair of S&Ws. A brief word of advice - don't bother, the finish was lousy, the chrome fell off both springs and the adjusting collar broke in half. Meanwhile, the swinging arm bushes continued to wear out (yes, I do know what grease nipples are for), so I changed the swinging arm which didn't help, so next it'll be another frame...

Tyres had also been changed at regular intervals. Roadrunners were horrible but lasted 12000 miles. Inspired by Barry Sheene, I fitted a Michelin S41 to the front, and very good it was too. I tried a M45 on the rear but my happiness with this tyre was cut short when it wore out in 2000 miles. Dunlop came to the rescue with the revamped TT100, which felt much better than the Avon, but lasted only half its distance. I'd love a pair of Phantoms but they're too expensive.

The period of major transition for the bike was the summer of '81. I had forsaken employment for the University of East Anglia. Norwich and the Z650 did not take to each other at first. I fell off five times in three months. The last time was the funniest, both bike and rider unharmed, but the clown who did the damage was fined £200 and banned for a year. Justice at last.

During those three months the bike was resprayed, first blue, later purple; the standard exhaust finally crumbled to dust (replaced by an ill-fitting, badly finished, overpriced four into one) and various bits were hacked about to ensure individuality. At this time I wanted a GS1000, but what the bank manager said was unrepeatable, hence the changes.

The four into one lasted for a year and was replaced by a used Piper system. During the MOT, the examiner looked crosser and crosser the more he revved the engine. As he held the throttle against the stop, he mouthed a few words. I hit the kill switch, his voiced boomed across the workshop, IT'S TOO BLOODY LOUD. He failed the bike. I got my own back by relocating three Brillo pads in the silencer when I returned for a retest. There's probably a moral in there somewhere.

By 65000 miles the head bearings were shot, the third exhaust was finished and various other little points needed fixing. But the motor was still fine, needing no major work, just 24 plugs, three sets of points and twenty odd oil and filter changes. It did break down once and I had to push it home. The fuel filter was blocked.

The double overhead cams, the camchain and tensioner, and the valve clearances were still OK, which is pretty exceptional given the mileage. In its last 14000 miles the Z650 suffered more and more neglect, the only servicing confined to the 2000 mile oil and filter change (and those are vital on most Jap bikes). Old worn and scrounged parts were used and taken way past sensible service limits, but the bike carried on.

Years earlier, after one of my crashes, the bike blew fuse after fuse. Being a cheapskate I solved it the easy way by throwing out the fuse box, no more trouble. Problem was I forgot all about it and years later when the lights went out the wiring loom caught on fire. But even that failed to destroy the bike. Second hand wiring looms are very difficult to find, while new ones are horrendously expensive. So let that be a warning to fellow bodgers.

Even after 80000 miles and too much neglect it would still show a ton on the speedo. I'm sure all the motor needs are fresh oil and the occasional tweak on the camchain tensioner to keep them running. Consider this, I'm no great mechanic - more like bloody useless - but the bike didn't see a dealers or workshop for 74000 miles after the warranty expired. I checked the valve clearances at 50000 miles but they weren't far out enough to need adjusting. Apart from the time the wiring loom caught fire, the electrics were equally reliable, no problems from the alternator, rectifier, etc. (eat yer heart out Suzuki owners). The bike just kept running, which speaks volumes for its durability.

I finally broke it last year after 80000 miles, I'd really wanted to do 100000 miles but the final pre MOT check revealed that I'd need to spend a good two hundred quid on service items and I just wasn't prepared to gamble on an engine that had started to sound like a battlefield. One advert sold all the big bits. I was definitely glad to have owned the bike and I still scour the ads for a newer one.


E P Moody