Friday 26 March 2021

The Easy Life: Norton ES2

I had a twin, fast and revvy, a big single was my dream. I read all I could about every marque. Top of the list had to be a Goldie, followed by a Venom or Norton International. Trouble was, only £400 capital. Even very tatty Venoms were fetching £1200. So back to the literature - it would have to be a plodder, forget the excitement think about the charm. Not the fleetest of big singles, but thoroughbred handling, the magazine said. This would do if I could find one; a late Norton ES2. A couple of weeks later, there it was in MCN - 1961 Norton ES2 vgc, used daily, £450 ono.

I fell in love with the beast as soon as I saw it. A bit scruffy but all there. I think it was the Brooklands fishtail silencer that really did it, but the special valve lifter and the big tall dinosaur of an engine must have helped. "A test ride? No problem, guv, been everywhere on it, Continent, everywhere." OK here we go: key in ignition and fiddle with it (mechanism worn), turn on petrol, tickle carb, no choke, depress kickstart until compression felt, lift valve lifter, inch past compression, release valve lifter and KICK. She's firing like something from the Imperial War Museum.

Out on the road, I edge the Easy Two into the traffic. Well it doesn't feel too bad. Brakes are reasonable, rear end a bit stiff. Thumps along nicely, doesn't it sound great! Gears are a bit clonky but seem to work OK. Doesn't like going into neutral when it's stationary. Power is modest but I like the punchy lazy way it's delivered. Even the electrics seem to work. OK, I'll have it. Four hundred notes change hands.


One year later... I rode it on and off through the rest of that summer and did it up in the winter. The engine was pretty tired and noisy so that was treated to a rebore, new piston, new bearings, reconditioned head with new valves, springs and guides. Total cost about £220. I painted all the black paintwork in Hammerite. This gave a tough easy to apply finish, that looks reasonable but not showroom. I sprayed the tank with Holts Vauxhall Sebring Silver, which looks quite original. Other new parts included chains, clutch, rear shocks, battery box cover, standard style silencer, headlamp rim, ammeter, battery, many stainless fasteners and new handlebars. Perhaps another £250. It's not perfect yet.
It still doesn't like going into neutral when stationary. The head bearings need replacing and new sprockets are needed.

I use the bike for work, club runs and trips to the seaside. It's better away from traffic than in town. It's been reliable and has never let me down. I love the looks and the thumpy way the engine delivers its power and it handles beautifully. It cruises at 60mph with max speed of a mere 80mph. I don't like the 6V electrics and the gearbox doesn't easily select neutral. Yes, I still like it and I'll keep it. Total spent around a grand, the bike's worth £800 and likely to go up in value. Running costs are minimal and spares easy to find if you know where to go. My only problem is deciding what to buy next...


Geoff Stovold